To Slam or Not To Slam?

salty87

Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2017
Texas Hill Country
Water isn't as clear as it was last year. It's been a brutal spring from leaves and oak tree catkins. Chlorine level dipped to 0.5 earlier this week. I ran it up between 8 & 12 with CYA of 40 for 3-5 days but clarity is not back.

OCLT Results
PM
FC- 8.5
CC- 0.5

AM
FC- 7.0
CC- 0.5

It's more than 1.0 so a SLAM is indicated but does the below CH issue make any difference?

CH questions
This year's reagent is testing at 600 which is a jump from last year around 425. I still have least year's reagent and using that the test results still show 425. There was no significant change in water over the winter. Fill water is collected rain water with CH of 0 of course there wasn't much evap over the winter.
- I've used both reagents a couple times and the differing results are consistent. Is this possible?...it's driving my a little nutty.
- Can higher CH affect water clarity?

Proceed with a SLAM?

First off, you need to SLAM only because you lost 1ppm in the OCLT. High cH and pH can make the water cloud.

Post a full set of test results and we casn better deal with your specific issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.