To replace a pool heater or fix it?

Just had our pool opened for the season, we are new pool owners (first season with the pool after buying the house). The heaters insulation has been eaten by mice so the pool guy said we can't use the heater. The heater is 16 years old, LaarsLite 2 propane Heater, 400k BTU (year 2002).

Is it worth having the heater fixed or should it be replaced?

How much should this heater cost to run? our propane is around $1.40 per gallon. Current pool water temp is 66 degrees F.

What is a fair price to pay for a new heater? heater cost? installation cost?

Thank you!

16 years is a good long life.

When I replaced my 15 year old Hayward EDii, I purchased a Raypak 266k btu heater at inyopools.com for around $1600 - less than half the prices quoted by local installers. I paid another $400 approx for a licensed electrician and an installer. I had not needed any changed to my gas line, or there’d have been a pipe fitter involved too ;)

Hope that helps give you an idea. If purchased through a pool co. you do enjoy a longer warranty, just so you know. Your call.

I’m not sure how to calculate your run cost as mine is natural gas. In my 25k gal pool with a 266 btu natural gas heater, it takes about an hour run to net about 1-1.5 degrees - so at .75 per CCF, with an 80% efficient heater, that’s about $1.50.In summer, my heat runs around $250/mo heated daily to 90ish or higher for therapy in am, using a cover overnight.

Lots of variables to consider, but if you know how many BTUs that gallon would get you we could do a very rough calc.

Depending on degree differential and cover use, in Michigan during open season I might lose approx 5-6 degrees a day at 90...YMMV

Definitely need to replace it as the mice destroyed it. As for cost to operate, on a 400K BTU heater you will burn almost 4 gal per hour while the heater is on.

Being where you are located, I would guess you will need some type of heat or you won't be swimming much. Yes Propane is more expensive than natural, solar or even an electric heat pump. However with gas you get a better heat up time than solar or the heat pump.

As for cost of a new unit, it will vary and being in NY it won't probably be cheap. I would guess you will be between $3K-$4K with install.

I may be in the same boat. Mine is a Jandy Lite 2 LG 175. I'm frustrated because its only 11 years old and it appears that gas valve is shot. I discovered that Honeywell discontinued the valve last year and places that have it left in stock want a king's ransom for them. I'm on my third thermopile replacement and this brand new one is only showing 520 mv at the valve. When I test the voltage at the fusible link its dropped to 300 mv. I'm in a quandary. The pilot is good and strong but its, in theory, making the minimum voltage to trip the main valve. But when the resistance of the limit switches, pressure switch and fusible link are added it drops below what will open the valve. I don't know if there are substitute valves that can be used or not and without enough voltage I can't systematically exclude some other component. Any advice is welcome.

520mv is a good reading at the valve. I've had them light at just over 420mv. Have you tried bypassing the on/off switch? You have a draw down of voltage because of either a bad on/off switch or one of the safeties.

Thanks ps0303 - I'll bypass the switch and see if that eliminates the voltage drop. If its not the switch I'll start with bypassing the pressure switch and then try the limiters. I'm assuming the fireman's switch is OK, its just a loop of wire.

I have the 250k BTU Lite2 model, 11 years old, for the pool at the house we just bought. I noticed my pilot light goes out occasionally, is there something wrong?

It is also a single Pool thermostat propane model. I see that there is a Pool/Spa combo thermostat...can just that panel be ordered and replaced to have dual temps depending on whether Pool or Spa is selected? Or is this impossible? From looking at the parts catalog it seems like just the control panel might be able to be replaced.

Rynoshark, if the pilot goes out it could be a few reasons. First would be that the thermopile isn't staying hot enough to keep the pilot portion of the gas valve open. Other things could be low gas supply and even wind.

Why are you looking to replace the panel?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, thanks Paul. I'll check the thermopile. I believe the gas supply is sufficient. It is in an enclosed pool house so I think the wind should not be an issue.

Regarding replacing the panel, the former pool owner purchased a single thermostat model, despite there being two different water bodies (pool and spa). As I have automated the pool/spa system, the last remaining piece is ensuring appropriate thermostat temperatures for each. Given a single thermostat Lite2 unit (vs the dual thermostat), there is no way to set the thermostat different for the two bodies of water so that when the automation system switches the valves the temperature also changes.

You can only heat one body of water at a time. Also since you have automation, that is what will control your temp.

A dual thermostat is really two thermostats. A pool heater has only one temp sensor in it. All you are doing with a dual setting heater is setting two temps wo you can just switch between heating the pool or the spa without having to change the temp. But again, you have automation so it controls your temp.

Paul, thought I'd let you know that I worked through the safeties and found its the high limit sensors. There appear to be two of them from the diagram I'm using, a 135 degree and a 150 degree. I think I'll get a proper expert in to replace them. Should I go ahead and do both, or have him isolate the bad one? Not sure what they cost but if he has the thing open anyway.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.