To much baking soda!! Help please!

Jenwar

Jul 10, 2020
Aiken, sc
My husband quickly poured in way to much baking soda. For almost two months now I still can not get the pool right. The pool is crystal clear if i leave the pump off and no one gets in it. You can see the actual build up on the bottom and once you put a vacuum in it it’s like a smoke cloud bomb goes off. Please help. Is there something I can do??
I have vacuumed almost daily but of course it just clogs filter and puts it right back into the pool. I ordered a battery vacuum waiting on it to arrive. But I saw somewhere that now since it’s not dissolving that it has a calcium build up?? Is there a way to break that up make it dissolve?? Please help any ideas.

Baking soda raises PH. You can lower PH with muriatic acid. However, I'm not sure you are seeing a baking soda cloud. How big is the pool? What is the PH? How are you testing it? How much did he add?

That's not how baking soda works. Something else is going on.

What are all of the readings?

Is the pool painted?

How much baking soda was added?

Was anything else added at the same time?

Last edited:
My husband quickly poured in way to much baking soda. For almost two months now I still can not get the pool right. The pool is crystal clear if i leave the pump off and no one gets in it. You can see the actual build up on the bottom and once you put a vacuum in it it’s like a smoke cloud bomb goes off. Please help. Is there something I can do??
I have vacuumed almost daily but of course it just clogs filter and puts it right back into the pool. I ordered a battery vacuum waiting on it to arrive. But I saw somewhere that now since it’s not dissolving that it has a calcium build up?? Is there a way to break that up make it dissolve?? Please help any ideas.

You should get one of the recommended test kits, TF-100 or K-2006C, and post your numbers so the experts here can figure out what's going on. Also, read Pool School on this site. Post your numbers like this:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

That's not how baking soda works. Something else is going on.

What are all of the readings?

Is the pool painted?

How much baking soda was added?

Was anything else added at the same time?
It’s a vinyl above ground pool he poured baking soda and ph chemical all around the pool. If it’s not baking soda any clue what happened? The ph has stayed low the whole time

he poured baking soda and ph chemical all around the pool.
It's important that you provide as much detail as possible.

Otherwise, we're just guessing at what's happening.

What is the pH chemical that was added?

How much of each chemical was added?

What were the readings prior to adding the chemicals.

What are the current readings for all chemicals.

What test kit do you have?

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It's important that you provide as much detail as possible.

Otherwise, we're just guessing at what's happening.

What is the pH chemical that was added?

How much of each chemical was added?

What were the readings prior to adding the chemicals.

What are the current readings for all chemicals.

What test kit do you have?

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Here are my test results today. After running the pump all night so pool is cloudy. Chlorine tablet was in filter.

Attachments

• 4AC47467-A38C-4961-A824-78B8BA08A075.jpeg
    4AC47467-A38C-4961-A824-78B8BA08A075.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 26
  • AA5A3447-55B2-4695-A35D-B600756B80CF.jpeg
    AA5A3447-55B2-4695-A35D-B600756B80CF.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 26
  • A9D99594-2997-491E-8691-3809693B2EC6.jpeg
    A9D99594-2997-491E-8691-3809693B2EC6.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 26
What size pool is this?
Can you fill out your signature? It really helps us help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.