To drain or not to drain?

Reverse osmosis results - very pleased

After seeing the suggestion here, I decided to give the reverse osmosis process (from Pool Services Technologies) a try. All I can say is wow -- what a great process and an even better company.

Bruce and Sal spent several hours on site, explained every detail of the chemistry and the process, and even took care of changing my filter cartridges. I knew immediately that this is a company worth doing business with.

And now on to the numbers...

Before the process, my numbers were:
FC - 5ppm
CC - 0ppm
PH - 7.9
TA - 100ppm
CH - 500ppm
CYA - over 100ppm
TDS - 3375ppm
Salt - 2675ppm

After the process:
FC - 1ppm
CC - 0ppm
PH - 7.4
TA - 50ppm
CH - 120ppm
CYA - 0ppm
TDS - 705ppm
Salt - 488ppm

The water looks better and feels better. I feel infinitely better knowing that I am starting out with "good" water instead of trying the guesswork/additional chemicals of trying partial drain/refill repeatedly to lower CYA and CH levels.

Anyway, if anyone is considering this process as an alternative to drain and refill (or repeated partial drain/refill), I would highly recommend it.

-Bill

Is it just me of does that now result in a CSI of between -0.8 and -0.65 depending on temperature?

Isn't that pretty bad for a pebble/plaster pool?

EDIT 1: And adding salt back in could make it change to -1.0 :shock:
EDIT 2: And adding CYA to 50 could make it go to -1.15 :shock: :shock:

bg22 said:
I just did a drain and refill last night. I could not get CH under 400 ppm. My fill water from the city is 160 CH. So I had to drain about 46% to get it to 300 ppm.

Bg22 - welcome to the forum. Read around on here and you'll find that there are people (especially in AZ) that are dealing with much higher CH then 400. It just takes understanding the pool chemistry which this site is all about :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.