Timing of adding pool chemicals

patrickguinn

Jun 5, 2022
Houston/TX
Hi All. My normal routine (at least during Summer) has been to add liquid chlorine each night and Muriatic acid each morning.
Doing so has kept my pool well balanced and clean. I recently read the TFP article below on chemical timing. There is an excerpt within the article stating that you should wait 24 hours after adding
Calcium Hypochlorite before adding any PH altering chemical. Just wanted to see if there are any known problems with adding Muriatic acid approximately 12 hours after adding my liquid chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite).
Perhaps I may want to wait a few days and add a higher dose of acid instead of a little each day? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Patrick

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If you primarily use muriatic acid and liquid chlorine, you don't need to wait long at all. If you test your numbers and feel both FC ad pH need adjustment, just don't add them at the "exact same place at the exact same time". With good water movements at the return jets, I would add liquid chlorine. Then by the time it took me to dispose of that bottle and grab my acid, (few minutes) I was pouring that in. No need to wait hours. Calcium is a little different only because of it's propensity to cloud the water. That's why we generally say about 10 minutes is plenty.

Pool Care Basics

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.