Timer getting stuck at pins after new motor?

Jun 20, 2016
AZ
Had a new motor installed and now my intermatic timer is getting stuck on each on/off pin and won't trigger the pump? It gets stuck right before/at tripping the pin. What could be the problem here? I have check all the pins and they are secure and tight. The timer was not touched during motor install and have never had problems before. Kinda dumbfounded by this one and don't know what the problem could be or how to fix?

I've seen some reports where the newer motor replacements aren't quite as strong or have as much oomph as the older ones. Ran across that little tidbit when I replaced mine this summer. Welcome to the forum.

That was going to be my guess, that it's a 240V motor wired up to a 120V circuit... You've got enough amps to keep time, but not enough to push through the pins...

Or it's a motor that can be wired to either voltage, but you must observe the correct wiring pattern for the supplied voltage.

I'm not sure that they are talking about the clock motor.

The clock motor has to match the supply voltage.

The timer has a small view port that allows you to look at the gears to make sure that they are turning.

Does the timer otherwise keep proper time?

My guess is you have dirt or corrosion on the movement bearings causing enough friction that the motor can't overcome the bearing friction plus the pin spring. You might want to disassemble it and try lubricating the bearings with a light oil. Otherwise you need another timer unit.

That's one of the advantages of the digital timer boxes. No moveable parts. If you replace it consider one of the digital equivalents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.