Time to switch to SWG?

pypeke

Silver Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Southeastern Oklahoma
My thoughts - more of a convenience factor...but will save fuel.

* 30 miles one way to get the maximum limit of 5 gallons of liquid chlorine.
* Drive to a different town/store to get an additional 5 gallons.
* 110 miles round trip to both stores takes 2 hours. Every 10-14 days.
* We only shop stores with indoor supplies, but they may keep larger stock outdoors. Who knows!
* Gasoline prices and the huge waste of time driving with chlorine in the back of our SUV.
* Heavy boxes/jugs to carry and store.
* Salt water is easier on our skin.

After reading posts on SWG, we are looking at CircuPool RJ-30 or RJ-45, but it depends on whatever is going on with them needing adapters for "cell connection errors". Not sure that matters.

Maximum depth of pool is a little over 5 ft in the very center. Both ends are 3 ft deep gradually sloping to the center. The center 5ft depth is about 2 ft x 16 ft. I am estimating the average depth is 4 ft. 32 ft x 16 ft pool so I think it is about 15,400 gallons. Either the RJ-30 or RJ-45 would work, but the RJ-45 is about $250.00 more expensive plus the RJ-45 replacement cell is about $80.00 higher than the RJ-30. I want to run my pump less, but I am not sure the RJ-45 isn't a little overkill. I know the warranty is good for two years with 50% at over 2 years, then less every year.

The $10.00 upgrade offer ends today, 6/13/22. Saves $230 on the 30 vs $190 on the 45 model.

Salt -buy new SWG test kit and many bags of salt. Then figure out how long to run the pump and at what percentages.

Questions:
1. I tried to use Pool Math, but couldn't figure out how many bags of pool salt to buy for 15,400 gallons. (After I test for salt, add 3/4 of amount.) How much salt will I need for 15,400 gallons?

2. I would prefer generic unions, not proprietary. Does RJ-30/45 come with generic unions?

3. Is the RJ-45 overkill? We plan on moving in a year or two, but a SWG might help sell the house over a chlorine pool.

4. Posts talk about a "cell connection error", and that they must pay shipping on the adapter needed. Is that still a problem? I don't have anything automated except for the Pentair Intelliflow timers and pump speeds. Does this problem apply to my setup?

5. Add salt and wait 24 hours before turning on the SWG? Later, shoot for "over" rather than "under" ppm salt. Is that correct?

6. Can I DIY the RJ-30 or 45? Is it just cleaning and gluing PVC? No electrical wiring? I have a covered electrical outlet about 8 ft away.

7. See picture: Should we get rid of the flexible pipe going in/out of the filter? I will install the SWG on the tall section of flexible pipe that comes out of the filter and goes to the returns. No heater or chlorinator. It will be close to an elbow though. Does that matter? Can we attach the SWG control board to the fence?

I should mention that the pool is on the side of a hill, so the original owners put the pumps and electrical box down below the deck and pool on ground level. The lake has flooded several times in the last few years, and we got tired of replacing pumps. We moved the pump and filter to the pool deck which is higher by about 7 ft. Not ideal, but nothing else we can do.

Screenshot_20220613-142034_Gallery.jpg
20220613_140644.jpg

8. Did I leave anything out that I need to know? Anything else I need to buy? Sale ends today or I need to choose a different SWG.

100°F Temps with 110°F heat index yesterday. IN JUNE!! 95°F at midnight last night. Those are August temps! I live in Southeastern Oklahoma about 3 hours from Dallas, so think Texas heat and ZERO wind. Unless we get 70-80 mph winds that rips off and mangles our pool equipment cover. Pool opens end of April to keep out the swamp, and closes mid October. High heat 110-115° in July /August.

Hopefully, I covered everything....probably way too much. So sorry this is so long. Thanks for your suggestions.

1. I tried to use Pool Math, but couldn't figure out how many bags of pool salt to buy for 15,400 gallons. (After I test for salt, add 3/4 of amount.) How much salt will I need for 15,400 gallons?

Use Effects of Adding on upper left menu and select Salt.

Every 40 lb bag of salt will add 310ppm in your 15,400 gallon pool.

2. I would prefer generic unions, not proprietary. Does RJ-30/45 come with generic unions?

I think they are proprietary but not sure. you get whatever they use.

3. Is the RJ-45 overkill? We plan on moving in a year or two, but a SWG might help sell the house over a chlorine pool.

No, it is 3X your pool water volume.

4. Posts talk about a "cell connection error", and that they must pay shipping on the adapter needed. Is that still a problem? I don't have anything automated except for the Pentair Intelliflow timers and pump speeds. Does this problem apply to my setup?

Some folks seem to have the problem after a few years and others don't. The systems are China imports and we have no idea about the quality control over them with different shipments.

5. Add salt and wait 24 hours before turning on the SWG? Later, shoot for "over" rather than "under" ppm salt. Is that correct?

The SWG works with a wide range of salt. Anywhere from 2800ppm to 3800 ppm. Just keep the salt in the range and don't focus on hitting a specific value.

6. Can I DIY the RJ-30 or 45? Is it just cleaning and gluing PVC? No electrical wiring? I have a covered electrical outlet about 8 ft away.

The RJ-30 or RJ-45 should be wired through a timer so that it is only powered when the pump is running. The flow switch should be a secondary safety device.

I think that hard wiring is preferable to a 120V plug but you can do it either way.

7. See picture: Should we get rid of the flexible pipe going in/out of the filter? I will install the SWG on the tall section of flexible pipe that comes out of the filter and goes to the returns. No heater or chlorinator. It will be close to an elbow though. Does that matter? Can we attach the SWG control board to the fence?

I generally don;t like using flex PVC on the equipment pad.

I would be concerned about the flex PVC supporting the weight of the cell.

I would run rigid schedule 40 PVC to the filter where the cell is placed.

8. Did I leave anything out that I need to know? Anything else I need to buy? Sale ends today or I need to choose a different SWG.

They have continuous sales. Don;t worry about missing out. They will have another one soon.

100°F Temps with 110°F heat index yesterday. IN JUNE!! 95°F at midnight last night. Those are August temps! I live in Southeastern Oklahoma about 3 hours from Dallas, so think Texas heat and ZERO wind. Unless we get 70-80 mph winds that rips off and mangles our pool equipment cover. Pool opens end of April to keep out the swamp, and closes mid October. High heat 110-115° in July /August.

Enjoy your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.