Time to Stabilize?

Jun 28, 2018
Indiana
I've had my pool open for 12 days. Still working to get it clear. I SLAM each night up to at least FC 15. No loss overnight, but big loss during the day by sunlight. Usually by the time I start the process again each might I'm at FC 0. I know this is no good as I'm supposed to keep it up all day, but how?

Do I add my liquid chlorine throughout the day or should I go ahead and add stabilizer?

I tested CYA last night and filled the whole tube up, so it's definitely less than 20.

24,000 Gal, Vinyl, Inground, Sand filter, Hayward Pump, Southwest Indiana

Yes, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm in a sock, tie it off and hang it in front of your return until all the CYA dissolves. Without CYA you will lose a lot of chlorine to sunlight. What does your water look like now?

For a slam to be effective and complete in the shortest possible time you need to keep the pool at slam level as long as possible by testing and adding chlorine as needed every couple of hours.

Reactions: Teach36
Yes it’s fine to add CYA whenever and no issues with swimmers with it dissolving. Most people squeeze the sock every now and then to get it to dissolve faster.

I would not let people swim in a pool where you can’t see the bottom. If someone did have trouble and went under you wouldn’t see them....

Reactions: BowserB and Teach36
You should not have anyone swimming in the pool without CYA when the FC is over 3 ppm. Unstabilized chlorine is very harsh on skin, hair and fabric. Put the CYA in a sock, tie it off and place it in the skimmer basket with the pump running. Once it has soaked in there a few minutes reach into the skimmer and squeeze the sock until the CYA is dissolved. That is the only way to get it to dissolve quickly. IceShadow is also correct in that you should not have people (especially children) swimming in a pool where you cannot see the bottom of the deep end.

Reactions: Teach36
Ok. I've added 4 cups of Stabilizer in a sock. I backwashed and rinsed the pump beforehand. Now the pump is on circulation. As I monitor the chlorine levels every 2 hours...will it be okay.to add liquid chlorine if needed while the stabilizer is in the sock? Just speculating and thinking ahead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.