Bartow, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Please help … I’m at a loss. Do I need to SLAM? I feel like I’ve tried everything. First, the numbers:

FC 8.0 (Target 3 to 10 according to Pool Math App)
C.C 0.0
pH 8.0 (Just added MA to lower to 7.2)
TA 70
CH 370
CYA 70
Salt 3400
Temp 84° F
CSI 0.13
SWG 50%
Pump Cycle: 10 hours (8 AM – 12 PM @ 2400 RPM, 12 PM – 6 PM @ 3000 RPM)

The problem: About a week ago, the water began to look slightly cloudy and greenish (not full on green). I began to brush daily. When brushing DAILY, I get a light dusting of greenish/brownish dust from the bottom on the pool. Initially, I thought, “Oh no! Algae bloom!” Then, after reading and thinking about changes, I waffled and said, “Maybe it’s oxidation of iron in the well water.” Now, I’m back to algae bloom. It hasn’t gotten worse, but it hasn’t really gotten better.

Prior to this occurrence, I was brushing and vacuuming every 3 days and cleaning my filter weekly. I have stepped up to brushing/vacuuming daily and cleaning my filter every 2 days since this has occurred. When I clean the filter, it does appear to be collecting the green residue, but it isn’t overwhelmingly dirty either.

History: The pool was getting low and we hadn’t had a drop of rain in f-o-r-e-v-e-r. So, about a week ago, I added approximately 2 inches of water to the pool. We are on a well. My fill water does not go through our water softener. I fill from a hose bib near the pool deck on which we have installed a large charcoal filter.

I have tested my Chlorine daily and it hasn’t dropped below the minimum. The lowest it has tested over the last week was FC 7.6 PPM. I have done the OCLT twice during this period and there is no change – no loss of chlorine is showing. But, of course, the water isn't sparkling.

Previously, my TA was reading 60 PPM – a scant 60 – it was flashing at 50, but not holding. Two days ago I began raising my alkalinity with Baking Soda. I didn’t have enough on hand, so I added what I had and added the remainder needed yesterday after going to the store. It is now a solid 70 PPM.

I adjusted my pH this morning. My pH regularly goes up – I’m told because we have a SWG. I typically need to add Muriatic Acid about once a week to keep it in range. So, it has been steadily climbing through this process, but hasn’t been too high or too low. I generally let it get to 8.0 before adjusting it back down.

Of note: I do not add anything but TFP “approved” chemicals to the pool. Although I must go to the pool store to have my water tested monthly for my equipment warranty. Their numbers rarely match mine, so I smile and nod as they tell me their recommendations and tell them I’ll work on that.

Please help! Thanks!

Martha, your numbers look good and it sounds like you're doing everything right. If it wasn't for the recent well water fill, we'd focus soley on algae, but now we have a bit of a mystery on our hands. Green in the cartidges doesn't seem to pair-up with iron. I would've expected more of an orange or ice tea color for that. But then you show no OCLT loss either?

So let's think about a couple things:
1 - Did you have the SWG off during those OCLT tests?
2 - Can you post a pic of the water?

Maybe place an old white sock or t-shirt in the skimmer for a while, assuming you can do so without plugging-up suction, to see if ti colects any iron.

Answers:
1. Yes ... SWG was off. Tested chlorine after sundown and again before sunrise.
2. Tried to take a pic, but the lovely phone camera “corrects” my color. I’ll work on that. I’ll try to get the water and the filter.

I’ll try the skimmer suggestion as well to see what I come up with.

@Texas Splash: Thanks so much for your help. Out running errands and answering via phone ... hope this reads well enough.

Reactions: Texas Splash
@Texas Splash: Okay, I have placed a "skimmer sock" in the skimmer to see what I catch today as far as color goes. I have taken a few photos. They don't show the true color of the pool because they present more blue than green to me. The filter hasn't collected too much yet, it was cleaned 2 days ago. I'll give it another cleaning anyway since I have it out. Trust me when I say ... there's green stuff in that pool and I want it out! ? My granddaughter is coming for a visit in a few weeks and I want her to be able to enjoy the pool. :paddle:

Well, those pics look pretty good. The 2nd water picture (shallow to deep end) does seem to show a bit of dullness to the water, but that could also be the angle of the photo or shadows from the enclosure. Filter cart looks great.

But here's what it boils-down to .... if you see green, the kind that puffs-up into clouds when you brush it, that's algae. Regardless of the OCLT passing, a SLAM Process is warranted. Now if you don't see anything like algae, but just that green "tint" to the water, it could be related to the iron from your recent well water addition. You may not be seeing any staining which is good, but watch closely at any white plastic trim, inside the skimmer, etc for color changes. The filter isn't showing anything yet which is why I'm leaning towards algae, but being there in person, you have to go with your instinct.

Iron reacts to a higher chlorine level as well, so if you decide to SLAM and increase the FC level, you may see more color changes around the pool. That would also confirm the iron. Very hard to tell from the pic and your test results because things look really good all-around. If you do SLAM, I wouldn't think it would take long. But if it's iron, the best you can do is keep the pH from going too high. I'd keep the pH at or below 7.5 at all times if possible. Trying a sequestrant is also an option for containing iron in the water.

Reactions: MarthaC552
Thanks, @Texas Splash, I appreciate the second pair of eyes and the advice. I was just brushing the walls and floor again. I'm definitely getting little puffs of greenish clouds when I brush the bottom, so I will re-test pH to verify the morning addition of MA has me at the correct level and start my SLAM.

I will heed your advice about the pH levels and perhaps try a sequestrant -- depending upon the results of the SLAM. I really was hoping to avoid the ongoing process of sequestrants, but I guess it might be where I have to go. I saw a product called CULator that is "supposed" to remove metals. Has anyone tried it and had any luck with it?

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.