Time to replace salt cell?

mep

Jun 14, 2016
Huntsville, Alabama
The salt cell has been in place for approx 7 years (I've owned the pool for 2 years). I went ahead and purchased a replacement so I would have it ready when it needed to be replaced. I am trying to determine if the old one is starting to fail.

The SWG is usually set around 40% and I run the pump for 8-10 hrs/day. Our cell is a bit oversized so I think that's why it's lasted so long.

The "inspect cell" light came on this morning. I've read that is an automated check after 500 hrs. However can this also indicate that the cell is underperforming? I've also heard that the system will show a false low salt reading when the cell begins to fail - is this something to look for?

FC has dropped to 2.5 or 3 - I usually maintain FC of 4 to 5 with the SWG settings mentioned above. I cranked it up to 100% for the past 3 hours, and FC climbed up just a small amount to 3.5 or 4.

We've had a lot of rain, so my CYA is also a bit low. Maybe I just need to bump up CYA and see if that helps maintain the FC, or is time to go ahead and pop in the replacement cell?

Hayward Aquarite T-15
Salt 3100
FC 3 or 4
CYA 50
PH 7.8
TA 90
25,000 gal pool, vinyl

Bump up the CYA to 70/80 and see how it works.

The cell might start showing a lower salt content than actual when it is starting to fail. Usually if it gets to be 800 or so lower than the confirmed salinity level then it is a concern that the cell is starting to fail.

Post the diagnostic readings and that might let us see if anything is out of normal ranges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.