Hillsborough, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
After 12 years of using a Hayward/A.O. Smith/Century 1HP Super Pump (went through 3 pumps) I finally decided to go with a new VS pump and found a good price on the Century VGreen 165. according to the cross-reference chart, this is the right size pump to replace my existing pump. My needs are simple, I only have one pump, no spa, no SWG, never had any issues with running the Super Pump for about 6-8 hours a day. Hoping to take advantage of the energy efficiencies of this VS pump.

FYI – this is a C-face round flange fitting

Thoughts on this particular pump?

Last edited:
jg,

I've had my V-Green for almost 6 months and I'm thrilled with it so far. The only negative issue I've heard about is the cover bolt on the electrical compartment seal has failed on at least one unit know of. I addressed this with a small blob of sealant on the head after I was comfortable with the installation. We're getting a LOT of rain now and I'll check soon to see if I have any leakage. Installation was a snap, They seem to be perfectly matched to the pumps and that's not surprising since Century makes many standard motors for all pool pumps. Interfacing with my automation was very simple with the versatile digital inputs but all you'll probably use is the internal timer. It easily allows selection of 3 different speeds plus there's an override speed you can set also. Like all VS motors it's extremely quiet when running at low speed even when it's coupled to my 7 year old Jandy FHPM 1 hp pump body.

Are you replacing just the motor or are you looking at a VS pump that uses this motor? Reason I ask is when they're sold as a complete unit you're getting one that has a matched pump and impeller to get maximum range out of the pump/motor combo. I had the Jandy version of your pump and it was very closely matched to the V-Green 1.65. I didn't really need to change impeller but I did go up one size. You'll most likely get 95%+ of the benefit but I would ask the question when you buy or maybe one of our pump experts like @JamesW will check it for you. Sounds like you've replaced the pump several times over 12 years so you should have a new enough pump body. If it's 12 years old you're really at the maximum I'd replace motor only as there is a risk you'll need a pump body before the motor wears out.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if there's anything else you need.

Chris

Reactions: borjis and Jimrahbe
jg,

I've had my V-Green for almost 6 months and I'm thrilled with it so far. The only negative issue I've heard about is the cover bolt on the electrical compartment seal has failed on at least one unit know of. I addressed this with a small blob of sealant on the head after I was comfortable with the installation. We're getting a LOT of rain now and I'll check soon to see if I have any leakage. Installation was a snap, They seem to be perfectly matched to the pumps and that's not surprising since Century makes many standard motors for all pool pumps. Interfacing with my automation was very simple with the versatile digital inputs but all you'll probably use is the internal timer. It easily allows selection of 3 different speeds plus there's an override speed you can set also. Like all VS motors it's extremely quiet when running at low speed even when it's coupled to my 7 year old Jandy FHPM 1 hp pump body.

Are you replacing just the motor or are you looking at a VS pump that uses this motor? Reason I ask is when they're sold as a complete unit you're getting one that has a matched pump and impeller to get maximum range out of the pump/motor combo. I had the Jandy version of your pump and it was very closely matched to the V-Green 1.65. I didn't really need to change impeller but I did go up one size. You'll most likely get 95%+ of the benefit but I would ask the question when you buy or maybe one of our pump experts like @JamesW will check it for you. Sounds like you've replaced the pump several times over 12 years so you should have a new enough pump body. If it's 12 years old you're really at the maximum I'd replace motor only as there is a risk you'll need a pump body before the motor wears out.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if there's anything else you need.

Chris
Hi Chris - Thanks for the great feed back. I never really considered replacing the entire pump, I was just planning to replace the motor. I assume as long as I buy the right motor for my existing pump, I was good to go. From what I can tell, the pump components (PVC pipes, basket, propeller) all look to be in good shape. Should I be concerned if I only replace the motor?

Hi Chris - Thanks for the great feed back. I never really considered replacing the entire pump, I was just planning to replace the motor. I assume as long as I buy the right motor for my existing pump, I was good to go. From what I can tell, the pump components (PVC pipes, basket, propeller) all look to be in good shape. Should I be concerned if I only replace the motor?

Jg,

I wasn't really sure what you meant when you said "pump replace" just wanted to confirm you meant motor. 3 pump replacements is pretty high in 12 years. If everything is in good shape you'd probably be OK and if it was me I'd inspect carefully the pump body. That's the expensive part. Impeller and diffuser aren't really that much. I'm pretty much a DIY person so stretching a little makes more sense since I don't have the extra labor charges. Are you performing this work yourself?

Chris

Jg,

I wasn't really sure what you meant when you said "pump replace" just wanted to confirm you meant motor. 3 pump replacements is pretty high in 12 years. If everything is in good shape you'd probably be OK and if it was me I'd inspect carefully the pump body. That's the expensive part. Impeller and diffuser aren't really that much. I'm pretty much a DIY person so stretching a little makes more sense since I don't have the extra labor charges. Are you performing this work yourself?

Chris
Hi Chris,

I now realize there is a difference between pump replacement and motor only replacement, you are right my OP was misleading. So yes, I will be just replacing the motor and of course the shaft seal. I think I will also replace the impeller and diffuser while I am at it since they are 12 years old. The pump body itself is in great shape. And yes, I am a very DYI kind of guy too and will be doing this replacement myself.

Thank you again for your input, much appreciated.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Just to jump on to same subject: what are the thoughts on the VGreen 270 (2.7hp) VS pump too.
I've only read a few posts about this motor and all are positive. I believe it allows you to fine tune rpm settings better than the 1.65. I find the settings precision sufficient for my purposes on the 1.65 as is. Unfortunately that's all I know about the 2.7 hp. Perhaps somebody that owns it can contribute.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: wireform

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jg,

Chris
Hi Chris,

You mentioned something that got me thinking and did some more research. So a follow-up question for you. Since I am now going from a THP of 1.1 (single speed pump) to 1.65 (VGreen VS Pump), is it necessary to change the impeller to a 1.5HP impeller?

jg,

I don't have as much information about Hayward pumps but I took a quick look at the pump series and impeller options. I would expect you should be able to have greater range with the next size up which is sized for a 1.5 hp pump so it should work. Looks like you can go up two sizes with your diffuser. I believe the impeller you have is a 4.25" and your next size up is a 5". @JamesW is a real expert on this stuff. Maybe he can confirm.

Chris

I didn't get it yet, I still have some life on my existing pump, pump this is the one I decided to get when I finally make the purchase. Glad you like yours so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.