Time for a replaster and minor modifications.

BillV

Sep 12, 2011
Houston, TX
Way past time, can see spots where there is no plaster and poor water control for a couple of years have left bad dark spots on the plaster. Looking for advice on a few different aspects. Price is an object, but we don't need to penny pinch, I want to do it right, get a few more years use and keep it nice for selling the house when we downsize in a couple of years.

We are in Houston. Is there an optimum time of year to get this done for a more reasonable cost?

We are happy with a basic plaster finish. There seem to be companies that re-plaster and then pool builders. I assume the latter will just subcontract out to the former. Am I right? Anything to watch out for here? Any broad cost estimates for the basic job?

Also considering adding a 15" deep "tanning shelf" with room for a table and 3 or 4 chairs. I suppose this would drive us towards a pool builder?
Bigger is better for us, but I feel that too big might turn off house buyers with small children if we take up too much of the shallow end. The pool is rectangular so maybe use about one quarter for the shelf? Any ideas on price here?

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Our pool has a sun tanning shelf...believe the dimensions are 8 x 10 feet roughly. Ours is only about 6" deep. It has two bubblers that come from the main circulation pump. We love it (so far) Cool thing about the bubblers is when I have them opened up all the way, the water goes about 1 foot from surface of water...this aeration, as I've just found out here, and can verify from my testing, slowly increase the PH...so it's a nice little handle to have instead of chemicals. Don't any pictures handy (at work now) or I'd post them. At first, I thought the sun tanning shelf would be a waste of pool space...but wife wanted it and have to admit that I like it....mainly I like walking on top of it while brushing, vacuuming, or just to get cool off the ole feet :)

Way past time, can see spots where there is no plaster and poor water control for a couple of years have left bad dark spots on the plaster. Looking for advice on a few different aspects. Price is an object, but we don't need to penny pinch, I want to do it right, get a few more years use and keep it nice for selling the house when we downsize in a couple of years.

We are in Houston. Is there an optimum time of year to get this done for a more reasonable cost?

We are happy with a basic plaster finish. There seem to be companies that re-plaster and then pool builders. I assume the latter will just subcontract out to the former. Am I right? Anything to watch out for here? Any broad cost estimates for the basic job?

Also considering adding a 15" deep "tanning shelf" with room for a table and 3 or 4 chairs. I suppose this would drive us towards a pool builder?
Bigger is better for us, but I feel that too big might turn off house buyers with small children if we take up too much of the shallow end. The pool is rectangular so maybe use about one quarter for the shelf? Any ideas on price here?

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

You're unlikely to get much if any cost savings based on the time of year, but if you do it in the slow season you're more likely to have a more communicative contractor and lower likelihood of delays.

Yes, a pool builder will subcontract to a plaster company. Costs vary wildly by region as well as by how much you're having done, such as partial chip-out vs full chip-out, and whether there are other add-ons like replacing the waterline tile. Get multiple quotes to get a better idea of prices. As for what to watch for, get references from past customers, see if you can see pools they've done, check online reviews. You can also educate yourself a little about proper and improper plaster application and use that to ask pointed questions. I'd start by reading this: Pool Plaster Tips for the Average Homeowner - Trouble Free Pool

A lot of plaster companies also perform remodels and could add a shelf for you. If anything, a large shelf would attract buyers with small kids, it's where kids want to play in the pool most of time. We recently extended our small 15" deep shelf to accommodate a few chairs and small table, and we love it. Just be aware that 15" is pretty deep compared to most shelves, which are typically in the 6"-12" range. Same thing with the prices as for the plaster above. Decide what you want, and get lots of quotes/estimates to compare.

Thanks so much for the comments. And thanks for the link. This site as gotten much larger since I last explored it a few years ago.
Sorry for not responding for a few days.

I suppose we will use it as is for this season and get on to fixing it in the fall.
I need to start collecting pool builder / plasterer contacts in my area.

The comments on varying depths of shelf are interesting. I was going by what I recall of a friend's pool but it may have been shallower. Going to have to give that some thought.

Consider the weather, I did spring because I get non stop leaves for several months.
I was lucky and found a plaster guy, only down side is communication. He does his thing and moved on. I had a few minor issues like missing pool cleaner insert and just replaced myself. But saved a couple Grand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.