Bronze Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine

If above doesn't play, here is the direct link to video. Please see it for the noise I'm getting. The 7-year-old pump motor is getting noisy and seems to be leaking a little. Is it time for me to get a new motor?

I've got a Sta-Rite P4E6D-186L with PLM150 cartridge filter that is quite old but working. 7-8 years ago, the motor, USQ1072 was replaced with QC1072 by a pool store. So, this motor is 7 to 8 years old.

As I am trying to buy and replace by myself, some places don't ship to California due to Title 20 or something. However, the pool store who sold me the motor & installed it for me said, it's for motors above 1 HP and mine is only 0.75HP which should be fine. I probably need to spend more time searching.

With a direct replacement and DIY, is there any other parts I should replace as well? Kind of nervous since I have never done it before. However, I am trying to save the labor which ended up being about $500 locally here to minimize the cost. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Filter.JPG
    Filter.JPG
    788.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Motor.JPG
    Motor.JPG
    362.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Pump.JPG
    Pump.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Timer.JPG
    Timer.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 10

If above doesn't play, here is the direct link to video. Please see it for the noise I'm getting. The 7-year-old pump motor is getting noisy and seems to be leaking a little. Is it time for me to get a new motor?

I've got a Sta-Rite P4E6D-186L with PLM150 cartridge filter that is quite old but working. 7-8 years ago, the motor, USQ1072 was replaced with QC1072 by a pool store. So, this motor is 7 to 8 years old.

As I am trying to buy and replace by myself, some places don't ship to California due to Title 20 or something. However, the pool store who sold me the motor & installed it for me said, it's for motors above 1 HP and mine is only 0.75HP which should be fine. I probably need to spend more time searching.

With a direct replacement and DIY, is there any other parts I should replace as well? Kind of nervous since I have never done it before. However, I am trying to save the labor which ended up being about $500 locally here to minimize the cost. Thank you very much.
Per the video, the shaft seal on your motor has been leaking for quite a while.
Look carefully. You're motor is a 1.24 total horsepower motor, well over the Title 20 requirement of less than 1 horsepower. Its not just the rating-plate horsepower, but the total horsepower that is the determining factor. It was not a CA-legal motor when it was installed. Hasn't been for at least 17 years.
Single-speed motors are no longer legal in the entire country, for the most part, and anything 1hp or greater in California is not legal at all.
You would need a PS-201 shaft seal (or the better PS-3868 Viton seal), a new sealplate O ring and a new motor. If you are happy with the pump, a Nidec Neptune NPTQ 1.25 is a California-legal variable speed motor that will work well.
There are several YouTube videos on replacing the shaft seal on a Max-E-Glass 2 pump. Then the motor is installed, wired, programmed. Your existing time clock would no longer be used.

You're absolutely right. After reading around, I realized my motor was 1.25 THP due to the SF and title 20 goes by THP. The pool store must have installed the old stock they have. I'm watching YouTube videos now on installing the Nidec and the seals you've described. Will go ahead and give it a try. Thank you for your help poolman.

Quick follow up question poolman. Seems NPTQ125 I ordered, as well as NPTQ165 are out of stock at the website I ordered. Currently thinking about buying from other places. However, some of the sites don't have good reviews.

I do see INYOPools has NPTQ270. Can I just get that or and run it with low RPM? Would there be any issue if my impeller is 3/4HP with 1.65 SF (Part #C105-238P) and diffuser is rated 1/2HP to 1-1/2HP (Part #C1-271P1)? My clean filter PSI is about 6PSI if this info is relevant. Thank you!

I think Century VGreen EVQ130 might work. But, I really don't like its one-button-for-everything interface from the videos that I've seen.

Thank you James. Actually, I am contemplating this as well. I do have a quote already from a local store (Pentair dealer) the other day. $2300 installed (tax included) with 3 years parts & labor warranty, 4th & 5th year motor & drive warranty, on IntelliPro3 VSF 3.0 HP, model #013075. Seems like this is top of the line. I think it is a reasonable price from a reputable store. My only hesitation is it's probably an overkill for my 8K gallon old pool. I'm going to visit a few stores and get quotes on a few less expensive variable speed pumps around $1K-$1.5K installed. Thank you for the suggestion.

Reactions: wireform and JamesW
Check for available rebates.

Here are some I found in California.

Thanks wireform. Unfortunately, I'm way below average in being handy and I didn't really know any handyman yet though I've been looking for one. It's ok. I already saved 6 years of pool maintenance fee since I discovered this website. Also, fortunately for me in this matter, due to off season, seems like lots of places offer free installation on pump. I like the price & look of the Black & Decker pump.

I just came back from a Leslie branch with best service around our area (free installation on most major equipment) & a local store.

Leslie has Jacuzzi JCZ JVS165S 1.65THP for $1250 all in, with warranty. Or JVS185S for $1400.

Local store mom & pop store (that installed my motor 5 years ago) gave me 4 options (all in, installed)

A. Motor only (Century V-Green 1.65THP), seals, & impeller as needed $1000
B. Hayward XE 1.5HP, SP3210X15XE $1800 (use existing timer, don't like single button interface)
C. Whisperflow VST 2HP $2100
D. IntelliFlo3 VSF Touchscreen 3.0 THP $2900.

Store owner told me to go with B, C, or D because he thinks due to slightly shorter motor life (his record showed it's only been 5 years since install while my flaky memory thought 7-8 years), my very old housing might have other issues. So, he suggested, as James did to change the entire pump as well.

Leaning towards just going with Jacuzzi first thing tomorrow to get it done. Reasonable cost and perfect for my older/smaller pool, and I also like the control interface of the Jacuzzi.

---
Just went and paid for the Jacuzzi JVS185s. $1520 installed. They said parts are easily accessible since they are Hayward. 2 years warranty through Hayward. Will update with review once it's installed. Thank you all so much for your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Thanks wireform. Unfortunately, I'm way below average in being handy and I didn't really know any handyman yet though I've been looking for one. It's ok. I already saved 6 years of pool maintenance fee since I discovered this website. Also, fortunately for me in this matter, due to off season, seems like lots of places offer free installation on pump. I like the price & look of the Black & Decker pump.

I just came back from a Leslie branch with best service around our area (free installation on most major equipment) & a local store.

Leslie has Jacuzzi JCZ JVS165S 1.65THP for $1250 all in, with warranty. Or JVS185S for $1400.

Local store mom & pop store (that installed my motor 5 years ago) gave me 4 options (all in, installed)

A. Motor only (Century V-Green 1.65THP), seals, & impeller as needed $1000
B. Hayward XE 1.5HP, SP3210X15XE $1800 (use existing timer, don't like single button interface)
C. Whisperflow VST 2HP $2100
D. IntelliFlo3 VSF Touchscreen 3.0 THP $2900.

Store owner told me to go with B, C, or D because he thinks due to slightly shorter motor life (his record showed it's only been 5 years since install while my flaky memory thought 7-8 years), my very old housing might have other issues. So, he suggested, as James did to change the entire pump as well.

Leaning towards just going with Jacuzzi first thing tomorrow to get it done. Reasonable cost and perfect for my older/smaller pool, and I also like the control interface of the Jacuzzi.

---
Just went and paid for the Jacuzzi JVS185s. $1520 installed. They said parts are easily accessible since they are Hayward. 2 years warranty through Hayward. Will update with review once it's installed. Thank you all so much for your help!
You made a very good choice. The Jacuzzi is actually a Hayward TriStar185. Hayward has been making pumps for Leslie's for many years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check for available rebates.

Here are some I found in California.

Thanks James. I checked. Unfortunately, here, a little further north in Kern County, they didn't have any applicable rebate for me at the moment. It's all good. I've gotten a couple that they offer like toilet and smart thermostat already :) .

You made a very good choice. The Jacuzzi is actually a Hayward TriStar185. Hayward has been making pumps for Leslie's for many years.

So great to hear! I'll save this model information so I know the exact model to search for if I need parts in the future. Thanks poolman for all your help.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.