Tile inlay on steps - Rate my install (with pictures)

bigorangesky

Aug 5, 2021
South Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are installing 1x2 inch tile strip along the edge of steps and seats in our pool. I was picturing the tiles right up against the edge of the step but tile guys are telling me they must be set back at least 2 inches to accommodate some type of corner bead/bullnose piece that goes underneath the plaster. I've not heard of this before, and can't find anything searching online. Everything I've found about plaster does not show any corner beads.

Does anyone know what he's talking about?

It's a new build gunite shell with Wet Edge Quartz finish.

Have not heard it called corner bead/bullnose. You need that the distance to the edge so the corner will have space for enough product (plaster) to have strength. Also you need all edges of the Shotcrete/Gunite to be cut at a 45 not a sharp 90 to better accept the plaster on the radius.

Attachments

• 3DA6CE52-F78D-4FEF-86CD-9A4AE1BB0356.jpeg
    3DA6CE52-F78D-4FEF-86CD-9A4AE1BB0356.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 70
We are installing 1x2 inch tile strip along the edge of steps and seats in our pool. I was picturing the tiles right up against the edge of the step but tile guys are telling me they must be set back at least 2 inches to accommodate some type of corner bead/bullnose piece that goes underneath the plaster. I've not heard of this before, and can't find anything searching online. Everything I've found about plaster does not show any corner beads.

Does anyone know what he's talking about?

It's a new build gunite shell with Wet Edge Quartz finish.
They are definitely set back from the edge. See pic below.

0E47131F-349E-426C-8584-9D9F944E5862.jpeg

Interesting, I have a hard 90 deg on the steps ... never any mention of 45. I actually remember asking my PB about the sharp corner after gunite, wondering if it should be rounded over. He assured me the plaster will take care of that.

Thanks for the picture, mine looks set back just a bit more than yours but hard to tell.

Reactions: Nikilyn
That is very uneven on the curves. I know they did that because of the 1x2 tiles but they could fix the curves with cutting some of the tiles. It’s more work but would look better. It shouldn’t be that far into the step/bench.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was my thought as well, asked him to go as close as he could. This was my original question.

Is there a standard spacing?
There are really very few standards in residential pool construction especially for stuff like this. At the end of the day if you aren’t happy with it have them fix it before allowing the plastering to occur.

Its not bad. I would accept it. No one is going to be examining it closely once it is under water.

Pick your battles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.