Tile for Flagstone Coping?

Feb 7, 2021
Georgia
Hello
we are just getting started on our pool installation. I need to decide on a waterline tile. We are using Oklahoma flagstone coping. I am trying to match the flagstone, not the water. If you used flagstone coping on your pool. Please post the name and color of the tile that you used along with a picture.

Welcome to TFP.

It may be helpful for your responses if you post pics of the flagstone coping you are looking to match tile to.

A year and a half ago we replaced our flagstone coping with new premium flagstone (Crab Orchard color range) and also replaced the tile with one called Oxford 17 from Classic Pool Tile. Here are a couple of pictures I took today--the flagstone is wet so the colors are darker than they normally would be. You can see the tile has touches of tan/brown mixed in with the blue which I thought matched nicely with the brown/tan/red/orange of the flagstone. In actuality, when you look at a distance you only really see the blue but if someone is looking closely there is a lot more interest in the tile color than just blue. You can find similar tiles with varying ratios of blues to earth tones. Just depends on how much blue or other colors you want. If anything, there are too many choices and you will probably doubt your choice up until your pool is filled with water and complete. At that point you likely won't worry about it as much. Hope this helps!

50943089211_41ed6f30a3_b.jpg

50943089071_d1f0d04a04_b.jpg

Last edited:
A year and a half ago we replaced our flagstone coping with new premium flagstone (Crab Orchard color range) and also replaced the tile with one called Oxford 17 from Classic Pool Tile. Here are a couple of pictures I took today--the flagstone is wet so the colors are darker than they normally would be. You can see the tile has touches of tan/brown mixed in with the blue which I thought matched nicely with the brown/tan/red/orange of the flagstone. In actuality, when you look at a distance you only really see the blue but if someone is looking closely there is a lot more interest in the tile color than just blue. You can find similar tiles with varying ratios of blues to earth tones. Just depends on how much blue or other colors you want. If anything, there are too many choices and you will probably doubt your choice up until your pool is filled with water and complete. At that point you likely won't worry about it as much. Hope this helps!

50943089211_41ed6f30a3_b.jpg

50943089071_d1f0d04a04_b.jpg
Your pool is beautiful! Thank you for the post!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just looking for something that looks stone like so I guess porcelain but I am open to all options.
It is so hard to choose! I've gotten so many samples. Have brought them to a stone yard that has the Techo-bloc pavers I am getting. Have put them in my yard to check color changes in different light. I can say that it is critical to see a sample vs picking online. The tiles often look so different online. My PB recommended I look for tiles at Classic Pool Tile and Stone but I am sure you can find great options elsewhere.

I'm leaning towards the lower picture, with the pewter tile as my waterline and glass possibly for a band towards the edge of the steps... still waffling on the glass though.

20210219_070629.jpg20210219_070850.jpg

Reactions: Browneyed Beauty
Get the glass. You'll love the pop in the water.
Nikilyn, I love the look of it sparkling on the steps. Do you know if glass tiles are more likely to crack/pop off from a step vs vertical at the waterline, from people stepping on them? My hesitation with getting the glass is that one will get damaged and I will have to repair something that I didn't really 'need'. Granted a pool is something I don't really 'need' ;) I'm having pebble sheen if that makes any difference

I picked a darker, but similar waterline tile and accent glass tiles for my pool. We have blue surf pebblesheen which is similar (a bit more blue) to blue granite. Our coping is lighter (ivory travertine) but you can see how the tiles look black at some angles and sometime show off really sparkly/colorful.
IMG_4999.JPG IMG_4976.JPG
IMG_4860.JPG

• Love
Reactions: B.lu

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were told by a company that mainly does renovations that submerged is the best place for glass tile. Don’t think that it is something you don’t “need”. The step trim isn’t just for looks, it’s for safety.

We were told by a company that mainly does renovations that submerged is the best place for glass tile. Don’t think that it is something you don’t “need”. The step trim isn’t just for looks, it’s for safety.
good point :) I'm so distracted by its beauty, I forgot the purpose

Reactions: Nikilyn
It is so hard to choose! I've gotten so many samples. Have brought them to a stone yard that has the Techo-bloc pavers I am getting. Have put them in my yard to check color changes in different light. I can say that it is critical to see a sample vs picking online. The tiles often look so different online. My PB recommended I look for tiles at Classic Pool Tile and Stone but I am sure you can find great options elsewhere.

I'm leaning towards the lower picture, with the pewter tile as my waterline and glass possibly for a band towards the edge of the steps... still waffling on the glass though.

View attachment 176294View attachment 176295

View attachment 176294View attachment 176295

Classic Pool Tile and Stone actually have a location in Atlanta Georgia and I think I found a tile that I like. I wanted a look that simulated the flagstone running down into the pool.
pool tile - love this one.jpgcan30 pool tile of choice.jpg

@TEOTWAWKI I think your pool has the Tennessee flagstone with the rich bold colors of Orange, Pink, Buff, and Blue/Gray. My flagstone is the subdued orange, gold, tan, brown, and black. Hopefully I will like it when it is all done. I went back and forth between choosing the Oklahoma flagstone and the Tennessee flagstone. I decided to go with the Oklahoma because it blended more with my house which is a brown brick with beige & off white stucco accents (house brick color below).
Classic-Augusta-and-IvoryBuff-TN-2.jpgClassic-Augusta-and-IvoryBuff-TN-2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.