Tile Color: Match or Contrast?

mummer43

Jul 31, 2016
Lehigh Valley, PA
We need to pick our waterline tile and we are struggling a bit. The general color scheme is greys and tans. Our pavers are going to be Techo Bloc Blu 60 in Champlain Grey and the coping will be bluestone, which is grey. Plast will be Wet Edge Signature Matrix in Tahoe, if that matters. I know it's personal preference, but can I have some input on what most people do? Right now we are leaning towards NPT Safari Desert Sand.

You are correct, it is what you like.. I can show you what I went with.. if you are going with almost all greys and tans a splash of color would really liven up the water line...

The 1 inch tile will be the whole pool and the 6 inch is the waterline with the white rock face coping... I would say mine both contrasts and matches :)

1622639797797.png

I have flagstone (tan) waterline tile with blue Wet Edge Plaster. It looks great. So contrast can work well.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was a few years ago when we were in your shoes trying to decide tile, the back and forth between options, and seemingly an impossible decision. To help, I’d first decide what kind of “feel” do you want? Do you want formal, fun, resort? May help you decide. Given your pool water color will be darker, and deck and coping matte dark colors why not give your pool some jewelry? I’d go with glass to give the pool sparkle beyond the TFP water 😜. Though I’m biased as I love the look of our glass tiles. Just quickly browsing NPT I’d be swayed towards the following.

Attachments

• AB801773-3CCD-4201-8683-5E1D68FB1B2A.jpeg
    AB801773-3CCD-4201-8683-5E1D68FB1B2A.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 9
  • 3F8DB918-1C0C-4133-AFD3-8D987424D641.jpeg
    3F8DB918-1C0C-4133-AFD3-8D987424D641.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 10
Thanks so much for all the input. Of the two that Kimkats posted I like Gemstone better. They are sending us samples that we request rather than us going in and looking at all of them all at the same time so I feel like we haven't had a chance to explore all the options. I am gong to ask for a sample of the Gemstone so we can see it in person.

Reactions: clambert1273
they say... a picture is worth a thousand words.

It was a few years ago when we were in your shoes trying to decide tile, the back and forth between options, and seemingly an impossible decision. To help, I’d first decide what kind of “feel” do you want? Do you want formal, fun, resort? May help you decide. Given your pool water color will be darker, and deck and coping matte dark colors why not give your pool some jewelry? I’d go with glass to give the pool sparkle beyond the TFP water 😜. Though I’m biased as I love the look of our glass tiles. Just quickly browsing NPT I’d be swayed towards the following.
We definitely aren't going for a formal look. I would say we are just trying to mimic architectural look and color scheme of our house which kind of has a sort of rustic mountain craftsman feel to it.

Things are moving pretty slowly and we finally had the tile installed today. We really struggled with the decision and almost went with a blue color but in the end decided on a tile that compliments our overall color scheme. I am looking forward to seeing how it looks with the coping.

Attachments

• 5BC4B4AE-E60F-49ED-8509-9A6F7C5904AE.jpeg
    5BC4B4AE-E60F-49ED-8509-9A6F7C5904AE.jpeg
    780.8 KB · Views: 25

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.