Bronze Supporter
May 24, 2016
Owensboro, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Opened to a green swamp – first time ever – about to start SLAM and have a couple of questions: Numbers posted below; however I didn’t test TA or CH yet since the pool is green – is that okay?

• Last year we FINALLY got a mesh safety cover. Is this what I can expect from now on with a mesh cover? Never had this happen with the ugly solid cover and water tubes. I usually open to crystal clear water with perfect water chemistry with FC of 1. Add some chlorine and it’s good to go.
  • CYA test – I can see the dot at 20 but its very cloudy. It looks like I wouldn’t be able to see it at 10 but the test doesn’t do 10. So do I assume 10 or 0 before I add stabilizer?
  • If I hold the stocking with the CYA in front of the return so that I can help it dissolve quickly, how long does it usually take to show up on test so I can begin the SLAM?

FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.5
CYA 10 or 0 (see question)
TA not tested yet
CH not tested yet

If you let your water get warm (above 55-60 degrees) and 0 FC and sunlight through the mesh? Guaranteed algae. You can pop a corner of the cover back to test and add some chlorine before you're ready to fully open.

Add 10 ppm CYA. Assume it's at 20 as soon as you add it. You'll need to know your TA in order to adjust pH. Adjust your pH to 7.2 and go ahead and start your SLAM. Retest CYA in a week. Even if you hold it in front of a return, it still doesn't show up on the test right away.

If you think your CH may be super high, then test that first. There's no sense in SLAMming the whole pool if you're going to have to drain next week due to CH. If you're confident your CH should be in range, then there's no rush in testing that until after SLAM.

I don't close my pool but I purchased and tried the mesh cover to help with leaves and debris and was not happy with the results. Too much debris passed through the mesh and it sits on the surface so still in the water. I have a big one for sale.
Some pools develop ammonia over winter that consumes CYA but if your CYA is above zero you may be ok. If you want to check then add chlorine for 10 ppm and test your free chlorine after 30-minutes. You likely have ammonia in your water if you lost 80%+ of FC in 30 minutes. Ammonia - Further Reading

If you can hold chlorine then I would raise your CYA 10ppm to give you some protection from the sun then SLAM Process
I can dissolve 10ppm of dry CYA in a sock in front of a return in a day and I would not worry about waiting for it to show up on a test before slamming.

If you let your water get warm (above 55-60 degrees) and 0 FC and sunlight through the mesh? Guaranteed algae. You can pop a corner of the cover back to test and add some chlorine before you're ready to fully open.

Add 10 ppm CYA. Assume it's at 20 as soon as you add it. You'll need to know your TA in order to adjust pH. Adjust your pH to 7.2 and go ahead and start your SLAM. Retest CYA in a week. Even if you hold it in front of a return, it still doesn't show up on the test right away.

If you think your CH may be super high, then test that first. There's no sense in SLAMming the whole pool if you're going to have to drain next week due to CH. If you're confident your CH should be in range, then there's no rush in testing that until after SLAM.

Didn't know I could add chlorine before I opened the pool. That's helpful. Would I just pop a corner on the deep end and pour it in there. I never thought to do that because I thought it wouldn't mix in. My CH is usually at 175 so I'm not really concerned with it yet.

I don't close my pool but I purchased and tried the mesh cover to help with leaves and debris and was not happy with the results. Too much debris passed through the mesh and it sits on the surface so still in the water. I have a big one for sale.
Some pools develop ammonia over winter that consumes CYA but if your CYA is above zero you may be ok. If you want to check then add chlorine for 10 ppm and test your free chlorine after 30-minutes. You likely have ammonia in your water if you lost 80%+ of FC in 30 minutes. Ammonia - Further Reading

If you can hold chlorine then I would raise your CYA 10ppm to give you some protection from the sun then SLAM Process
I can dissolve 10ppm of dry CYA in a sock in front of a return in a day and I would not worry about waiting for it to show up on a test before slamming.

Yeah I was pretty devastated to open to a swamp this year - I loved my new cover - been wanting one for years because they look so much nicer. Guess I'll check for ammonia first, but I'm pretty sure I have at least some CYA. Glad to know I don't have to wait for it to show up on the test before I start the SLAM.

Didn't know I could add chlorine before I opened the pool. That's helpful. Would I just pop a corner on the deep end and pour it in there. I never thought to do that because I thought it wouldn't mix in. My CH is usually at 175 so I'm not really concerned with it yet.
You will need to mix it. If your pump is not running then pull of the cover and pour the Cl and mix with the pool brush. You will need to have your pump and filter system operational before starting the SLAM. Also much better if you can get out anything big enough to catch in your leaf net before as well.

Reactions: LoraT
I use a mesh cover that came with the pool. I open when the water hits about 50°. There’s usually a little scum / potential algae but it clears up pretty quick when I start chlorinating again. I follow the shut-down instructions from the forum: clean it really well, bring to SLAM levels a few days before closing, let it come down, add polyquat algaecide when I close.

I use a mesh cover that came with the pool. I open when the water hits about 50°. There’s usually a little scum / potential algae but it clears up pretty quick when I start chlorinating again. I follow the shut-down instructions from the forum: clean it really well, bring to SLAM levels a few days before closing, let it come down, add polyquat algaecide when I close.

Unfortunately, I guess I didn't understand just how important it is to open when the water is still that cold. We have a neighbor behind us and one beside us that have huge maple trees (the ones with the whirly birds). We usually don't open until they are done falling. Next year I guess I'll deal with those instead of this green mess!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.