Thoughts on pool size? 50'x8' lap pool

Sep 17, 2018
Oakland, CA
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and would really love some advice on pool size. We are in the design stages. We have limited space, and the city we live in has a limit for how much of our lot we can put a "structure" on. A pool over 400 square feet is considered a structure. Building the pool is part of a remodel project we're doing that includes some additions to the house, so that is the constraint on our pool size.

We want to have the pool mainly for laps, but we also have 3 children, so we want them to be able to play in the pool as well. From what I've read online about ideal lap pool sizes I think we should go with 50'x8' (we have to stay at no more than 400 square feet for the pool). This would give us the most length for laps. However, is 8' just not wide enough to play in? Is it worth making it shorter to allow it to be wider (perhaps 40'x10x)? Or, since the kids will grow and leave the house and we'll still be here doing laps, should we stick with the longer, more narrow pool??
Just can't decide what to do!
Would love thoughts on this!
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP...

This will be a very unique pool but it seems you don’t plan on moving so that’s good. Get some tape and put two lines on the floor 10’ apart then lay down and have someone take a picture. Use that as a starting point to see just how narrow you are willing to live with. As for the city if you get close to the 400 sq ft I’m sure they will work with you especially if you can show you won’t be enfringing on property setbacks. Depth of the pool will be important as well please share some pics of the existing space and any plans you come up with so folks can get a better feel for your project.

We have a 40' x ~15' play pool and lap pool. Here are a few ideas from our experience.

* You are probably already planning this, but I suggest a line of tile on the floor, and touch pad tile on each of the end walls for sighting during lap swimming.

* While 50' is better, 40' is not a bad length for swimming laps

* Our pool pinches down to about 12-13 feet wide in the middle, deepest part. That width has not been a problem, but I wouldn't go too much narrower for the kids' sake. 10'x40' is better than 8'x50' imo. Jumping into an 8' width may be cause for safety concerns.

* The depth of the pool is probably more important for kids' enjoyment. Ours is only ~5 feet at the deepest and the lack of depth is the most common complaint we get from kids who want to jump off the side. Sufficient depth at each end is also a consideration if you will do flip turns during lap swimming. Not sure if you have to balance that with true shallow end depth (code?) for smaller kids.

Have you looked into a variance? In California there is a state law under which you should be able to apply for what they call a minor deviation or variance. We had to do that when we built a patio cover, but had already reached our max lot coverage. There are four criteria, and at least in Clovis where I live, you just have to give some kind of reasoning under each on a form they have you fill out, pay a fee (for us was $775) and in a few weeks they give you a letter saying you have a variance.

I just found this on Google, if you haven't already tried, this might point you in the right direction on how to get a variance in Oakland
Zoning Variances | Application and Zoning Information | City of Oakland | California

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.