Thoughts on new pool construction

C365

Sep 16, 2020
Utah
Nearly complete with a 75x12' lap pool. Shotcrete + plaster/quartz. Water in it for almost 3 weeks.

As it turns out, the pool is just under 73' long. I didn't have a tape measure to measure it at the time and we had some other issues during excavation (we had to over-ex for clay) that set things back and distracted a bit. I'm honestly not super stressed about the length, as I'm not running competition or anything and the length is still very effective for swimming laps.

The coping concrete around the pool is already developing cracks. About every 5' around the perimeter coping there's a crack that's 1mm wide.

The railing/handles that were just installed today didn't have the anchors put in right. They put the anchor in, attached the railing then filled around the anchor with concrete (installed after coping was poured). So there's not even any access to the anchor anymore. And only the back bar of each railing (it's a 2 post rail) actually had an anchor.

But my reading says the anchors should have been set in concrete that dried first before the railing was installed. Or is it normal practice to bury the anchor in concrete? In any case it wobbles a bit after 36 hours of setting and no one has put any weight on it yet. I just worry it will be an issue in the future.

The heat pump was installed about 14" from the house wall not 24" as the manual says. And the filter is even closer, so it also reduced air flow on that side as well.

The pool has 2 skimmers, which either isn't enough or the pump isn't that great as they don't seem that effective at getting flow going. The vacuum (poolvernugen) seems pretty slow too (with skimmer turned off and drains almost all the way closed). Those things make me wonder if the pump is the wrong size. Century 1.5hp pump, hayward c4030 filter, hayward heatpro 140btu heat pump, hayward omni logic controller.

In any case, how would you address these issues in my case? Should be asking him to fix all the cracks? It's the railing a big issue? There's not much I can do about the length at this point, and I don't want any one to take a bath here, as the guy has to make a living too. But am I being too understanding?

The builder seems like a good guy. I'm wondering how much it's worth a fight over this stuff or if it's par for the course of dealing with occasional issues and just moving on.

60k pool price incl auto cover. 10k extra for the over-ex from neighbor trusted contractor that was quite extensive with gravel, road base, 175' of drain, etc

Attachments

• 20200915_225603.jpg
    20200915_225603.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200915_225322.jpg
    20200915_225322.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 62
Hi, and welcome to TFP. Glad you found us, wish it was under better circumstances. We have some pool pros here that will find your thread. All pools have there birthmarks. Yours is no exception, but I have to admit you got a pretty good share of 'em. Let's get you set up to get some good answers. Get as much of the following done as you can:

Can you clean up that last sentence? Not quite sure I'm understanding it.

All concrete will have cracks. But I think yours appearing this soon might mean something. @JamesW? @jimmythegreek?

@mas985, that pump is way too small, isn't it? Mine is twice the HP for half the pool. Heater too, seems a little shy. Returns govern flow, not the skimmers. Include in your signature the number of returns. And the volume of water in gallons.

Hold on to the final payment until you're more confident about what to do. Things that are cosmetic in nature you might have to come to terms with. Other things that don't meet specs and requirement should be fixed (like the location of the heater). Those that can't be fixed (like the length) can be used as bargaining chips for some of the stuff that's on the fence.

In the meantime, show us your pool! Everyone here loves pics of pools!

Last edited:
The pool has 2 skimmers, which either isn't enough or the pump isn't that great as they don't seem that effective at getting flow going. The vacuum (poolvernugen) seems pretty slow too (with skimmer turned off and drains almost all the way closed).
What happens when everything is closed off except for the cleaner. Suction cleaners rob the pool of skimming. A robot will be much more effective and cheaper to run.

Those things make me wonder if the pump is the wrong size. Century 1.5hp pump, hayward c4030 filter, hayward heatpro 140btu heat pump, hayward omni logic controller.
What is the pump model? Century is the motor model. If it is a Hayward brand, most likely it will be a TriStar, Super II or SuperPump.

What happens when everything is closed off except for the cleaner. Suction cleaners rob the pool of skimming. A robot will be much more effective and cheaper to run.
Right. Why didn't I remember that? I couldn't get both suction cleaner and skimmer to work well enough. I put an actuator on that valve and my automation now gives each the necessary pump suction. Solved both problems.

Those are shrinkage cracks amd are a result of too much cream amd too fast a cure. I'm guessing it was hot the day they poured. The railings are a no no. They are supposed to be in ladder cups that are in a sub slab below deck or in the deck. The cups should be bonded to the grid amd the rails are removable. Dont think they will last too many seasons like that. On the bright side that's a great price. With an autocover that's a 100k gunite pool here in quartz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.