Thoughts on Joint Trenches (Plumbing, Electrical and Gas)

shashivr4

Aug 10, 2020
Charlotte, NC
As the title of the threads states, I’m looking to garner thoughts on the use of joint trenches for plumbing, electrical and gas lines. Obviously the plumbing would be in piping but in this case I’m also assuming the electrical would also be in electrical grade (grey) conduit.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I had a common trench as well, at least close to my equipment pad, and my gas and electrical from my main panel were in the same trench for about 150 ft. Those had to exit the trench at least 3 feet apart though.

There are pro's and con's. As long as there is no code issues it's fine (I think there is a spacing requirement between gas and electric or other services, check with your local AHJ). Backfilling is a little more work, tougher to compact around closely spaced pipes. If there is ever a break in a pipe it can be more challenging to repair, especially if it under other lines and pipes (if backfilling and compacting is not done well settling and a broken pipe are a greater possibility).

My electric and pool plumbing share a common trench for the majority of the run, and my gas does enter the common trench near the pool equipment. Personally, I like it, because it makes runs easier to locate. However, you also just need to be careful if you ever dig it up due to the close spacing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.