Thoughts on Filter Media

Jun 30, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
So getting ready to get a new Pentair SD80 filter installed. But up in the air on the media. Torn between glass and sand. I have the sand now in my existing filter that seems to be working fine but the filter is really old and had to use some epoxy to stop some leaks. Im also considering the Zeobrite but not as much as the sand or glass. Right now Im leaning towards glass because of the fact of how fine it filters as well as not having to backwash as much or ever change it. Interested in people's thoughts. The glass would be Dr Dryden. :confused::confused:

I'll echo that: stick with sand. Thus far I haven't seen anyone who says their filter works better with glass or zeobrite, or at least better enough to justify the extra expense.

Use the search box for zeobrite and/or glass media and see what users have said. And also take a moment to at least check out the pictures here: My findings on how not all sand is created equal

If you want superfine DE-quality filtering, then Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

So getting ready to get a new Pentair SD80 filter installed. But up in the air on the media. Torn between glass and sand. I have the sand now in my existing filter that seems to be working fine but the filter is really old and had to use some epoxy to stop some leaks. Im also considering the Zeobrite but not as much as the sand or glass. Right now Im leaning towards glass because of the fact of how fine it filters as well as not having to backwash as much or ever change it. Interested in people's thoughts. The glass would be Dr Dryden. :confused::confused:
The sand in a filter of a properly maintained pool should last the life of the filter. Sand has been here for millions of years, a decade in a filter is nothing compared to the abuse of crashing waves for millions of years.

Your post is contradicting... if the glass is supposed to catch fine debris, then it will catch more debris, which should require more backwashes, depending on how dirty the water really is.

Stick with sand, it works fine, and is what the filter was designed for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.