Thoughts on equipment for new pool. Upgrade?

Nov 28, 2018
Michigan
Michigan: These were part of my estimate. 16x32 pool. Curious everyone's thoughts on this equipment and if there is any area I should invest in upgrades. Dig should be starting soon. Thanks!

Pump: MaxFlo XL 1.5 HP Pool Pump (Single Speed) MaxFlo XL | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products

Filter: SwimClear Single Element 150 Sq Ft Filter SwimClear Single Element | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products

Salt Chlorinator: AquaRite 900 with 25,000 gallon Extended Life TurboCell AquaRite 900 | Sanitizers | In Ground Pool Sanitizers - Hayward Pool Products

Heater: Universal H-Series Natural Gas 150,000 BTU Low NOx
Universal H-Series | Heaters | In Ground Pool Heaters - Hayward Pool Products

Jeff,

No self-respecting pool builder should ever let someone with a saltwater pool buy a single speed pump.. Either get a 2-speed or variable speed pump.

We always recommend that the SWCG be at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. Probably not a real issue in your location, but the smaller the cell the longer you will have to run it at a higher output percentage.

I would want a bigger filter... The larger the filter the less often you have to clean it. Again with your short season, probably not a major issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jeff,

No self-respecting pool builder should ever let someone with a saltwater pool buy a single speed pump.. Either get a 2-speed or variable speed pump.

We always recommend that the SWCG be at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. Probably not a real issue in your location, but the smaller the cell the longer you will have to run it at a higher output percentage.

I would want a bigger filter... The larger the filter the less often you have to clean it. Again with your short season, probably not a major issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you! I have read other's thoughts on variable speed pumps as well. This is definitely an area where I want to upgrade.

You never mentioned depth so I have no idea of volume but.......150k btu, Way too small IMO. The cheapest way to heat a pool is to not heat it on the days you aren’t swimming, then quickly bring up to temp on the day you are. Makes sense right? Problem is, 150k May take 24 hours to go from 75f to 85f. You wanna get from 75 to 85 in 4 or 5 hours. Go big or go home is my opinion on heaters and make sure you get the nickle plated version.

Same with filters. I got a huge one because i only wanted to clean my filter once a season. When I close the pool!

Reactions: martinezj1120
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.