Sevenpicards

Jan 6, 2021
NH
To all of you who chose to go borderless with your vinyl liner, how did your liner hold up over time? I understand the importance of a waterline tile of some sort for Gunite pools, but because we’re going vinyl, there may be less of a need. I understand that having a border may lessen the look if fading, with it being a different pattern than the pool floor. Is the fading that more obvious with a borderless liner? Specifically thinking a Caribbean gray, gray granite, type of choice. Need to make our final decision soon, and not completely in love with the border choices. Thanks for any feedback from anyone that has experience with this. :)

Hey Sevenpi and belated Welcome. We went borderless and loved it. IMHO the borders came around in the 70s/80s and tried to spruce up the plain vinyl trying to be pretty like the waterline tiles on the plaster pools. But over time to us they by nature made the pool look more vinyl-y because they were trying too hard. Especially now with all the pretty patterns available. They’re already spruced up, no need to take away from that.

Hey Sevenpi and belated Welcome. We went borderless and loved it. IMHO the borders came around in the 70s/80s and tried to spruce up the plain vinyl trying to be pretty like the waterline tiles on the plaster pools. But over time to us they by nature made the pool look more vinyl-y because they were trying too hard. Especially now with all the pretty patterns available. They’re already spruced up, no need to take away from that.
Thank you! Did you find that the fading occurred primarily below the waterline, or above? Or was it similar for both…

8 years in it was only a little noticeable below the waterline if lowered. Full of water the water made it a few shades darker so it still matched.

Following TFP water chem. The pool store method of spiraling the chemistry out of control and then having to correct your swamp with a dump and pray method of shock without any regards for you CYA level will eventually harm the liner color.

In a harsh UV environment it will lighten over time also but you should fare pretty well in VA if you follow the FC/CYA Levels

My vinyl liner with a border is 4 years old and the fading below the waterline is noticeable. When filled to the waterline you cannot notice. And I have followed TFP protocol since the first year. Someone also told me since I have an auto cover that there is virtually no fading above the waterline from the sun which makes the difference more noticeable. I have no idea whether this is true or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.