This year, borates!!!!

sedalbj

Silver Supporter
Jul 3, 2016
Eastern PA
Thanks to the HELPFUL people on this AMAZING forum, our pool is so easy to manage. It opened last week and I was excited to get testing and balancing, it is like an annual challenge to get it just right and keep it that way. And every year I have at least one technical difficulty that the experts here walk me through. I do hate that every fall and spring, the pool openers say 'Are you sure you don't want this or that added???' No, no no!!!!!

This year, I'm adding borates. I'm done procrastinating!

Question about borate testing. Instead of buying the test kit, will a pool store test for borates? Are they accurate enough? Do I really need to test it before/after adding? I added one box of borax last year and 2 last week, so our borates shouldn't be much? Is there any way we would have a measurable amount of borates that I would need to know before I start?

I read the 'Borates how/why' sticky, Pool Math says 55lb will raise BOR to 38. I have MA to lower the TA when the acid arrives.

Granular boric acid from Duda (55lb is $65 right now). I think I will use that, then MA and Borax to get BOR to a little over 40. I'm hoping to do this without buying a test kit. What do you think?

As noted, test strips are the way to go.
The way I borated my pool was to shut off the SWG, then I added 3 boxes of my 12 (20 Mule Team)Then I roughly measured how much 31% MA is needed to get Ph back in spec. Then, knowing the ballpark acid demand per three boxes, I added three more, then acid to Ph spec, test with borate strips again, Then I added three, test ph test borates, and used the rest to get to the correct borate number at the right Ph.
The left over 20 Mule Team goes in the laundry room to vanquish the stinky towels that get left around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.