Gold Supporter
May 12, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Short version-leaks fixed in three different spots, one at a time until resolved.

First i verified leak was in the pool and not the plumbing by closing off returns and skimmer drain (leaving main drain open-didnt have a plug for it) and taking level measurements over a 24 hr period.
My dye tests around return jets, skimmer, steps, light did not find anything.
Called a local pool leak diver. First trip found a faulty seam leak. Repeated level tests showed improvement but continued leaking.
Second trip using different equipment/technique found a leak around return jet gasket at steps. Again, repeated level tests showed improvement but still leaking.
Third trip using yet another technique as well as repeat dye tests and visual diving found a leak inside the light niche at the joint where the cable exits the niche. This leak was not detectable with the light installed, only after removing the light was it found.
Repeat level tests show the leaks finally fixed, back to the same as normal evaporation loss.
The various techniques used were visual diving, dye tests, acoustic, and electric current, as well as electronic level monitoring.

With all the rain we had this spring I am not sure how long the leaks had been present. I only noticed the abnormal drops after we had a dry spell. Was losing 250 gallons a day.

Reactions: ajw22 and Oly
Your story is a good lesson in perseverance and that there can be multiple leaks that take different methods to find. Great job! :goodjob:

I just posted asking for advice, and this experience is a good start. My light fixture was moving around and I thought, without measuring it, that it improved when I tightened the screw and the water pressure caused some seal. Maybe I will remove it today and check the niche out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.