Thinking of installing 60 amp sub-panel myself

Caupsguy

Gold Supporter
Jun 6, 2017
Buena Park california
So my main house panel is 50 feet away and I want to install a sub-panel to new pool equipment pad. So, I’ve changed out breakers from my main before and tested each of my breakers with my multi tester and think I’m up for the job—-with you all in my corner of course!!

My wants:
Two on/off switches one for pump one for heater
4 receptacle outlet-future??
Two on/off switch for pad light and pool light
Future timer box for lighting patio and backyard

Four 30 amp breakers two for sub two for main?
Will 6/4wire be ok with a 5 foot rod in ground next to sub?
Not sure on conduit size?
Wire nut size?
Two single pole single throw switches or pump and heater?
Do I need a 4 receptacle outlet?
Two on/off switch for pad light and pool light?

please critique and help with suggestions. Thanks!!!

You don't need a ground rod for a pool equipment panel. You will be running a insulated ground wire back to you main panel.

#6 THWN run in conduit will be fine for 60amps up to 100ft of wire between panels. You can step your ground wire down one size to #8.

I would suggest minimum 1" conduit just to make it easier to pull the wire. Smallest size you can go is 3/4".

If you are doing a sub panel and conduit you won't need any wire nuts. The wires will be run as one continuous piece.

Again with a subpanel you don't need switches for your equipment. You can simple shut off the breaker. You have a VS pump there is no need to shut off power to it on a regular basis. Same with the heater there is no need to turn the power off with a switch regularly.

Minimum required is a standard dual outlet on a 20 amp GFCI protected circuit. If you want of need 4 outlets go for it.

This a little more in depth than just changing a breaker. Not overly complicated but there are a lot of details that are easily overlooked if you've never done something like this before.

I would suggest minimum 1" conduit just to make it easier to pull the wire. Smallest size you can go is 3/4".

Wire is a PITA to pull long distance. Bigger conduit the better.

The Pentair easy touch is basically a sub panel with automation that makes it easier to upgrade. I have exterior outlets, a pump, and a heater run off of it. They are all on separate breakers for convenience.

I’m really interested in your suggestion of the Pentair easy touch. So, would I run wire from main panel to just the breakers I would need. Could you send me a pic of yours or info on how you wired yours from the main. I’m guessing you ran wire 2 hot and a ground from a 30 amp breaker in the main ??? Thanks for your help

You still need 4 wires for an easy touch panel. An easy touch panel is nothing more that an outdoor breaker box with other things attached to it. At its heart there is still bus bars designed to be used with standard breakers.

In the top of my subpanel you can see 4 wires taped together. That is the 2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 insulated ground wire that run to my main panel in the house. You can see that they connect to the "main lugs" of the sub panel bus bars that the breakers connect to. An easy touch panel will be laid out differently but still have these same basic connections.

Those 4 wires run thru conduit to my main panel. The hot wires go to a 40 amp dual pole breaker, the neutral connects to the neutral bus, and the ground to the ground buss.

Attachments

• IMG_20170418_155025.jpg
    IMG_20170418_155025.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 93
Sorry for the blurry pic. But you can see no wire nuts. Right to the lugs of the automation panel. It's a good idea to add a lightening arrester too.
9d816a8899e3ff24704caadc337ae79c.jpg
c51e09323b2250d7a75b17469327a9bc.jpg

If you are keeping the Hayward VS pump, you may need to use Hayward automation for the pump to talk to the automation correctly.

General rule is all equipment (except heater and filter) should be same manufacturer.... automation, pumps, SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.