Thinking of getting a truck....

I think you're probably right.
I will say one thing, if I were towing a bumper pull about 9,000 lbs or less, I would be doing it with an F-150 Eco-Boost with max towing and max payload packages. Those things are awesome when they're not hooked to a gigantic box! :)

I need a mid-size truck to fit in my garage. If they still sold the mini trucks like the Toyota HiLux pickup or old Nissan Hardbody in the US, I’d be driving that. Clearly by garaging any vehicle it extends its life exponentially, and most garages can’t fit even the 1 ton F150/Silverados-actually my new garage can, but it’s a custom-build climate controlled he-shed, so it’s an anomaly. I love the 1 tons, don’t get me wrong, but a V8 (I KNOW the new Fords aren’t—-oooh love that new 2.3L Turbo) is too much.

My V6 Nissan Frontier has a trailer haul rating of 6500lbs. That’s really good for any box frame truck. Full disclosure, I did tow a friends fishing boat from his house to a mountain lake slip (shout to Big Bear Lake!), and that torquey engine handled it like nothing. My last mini HiLux left me still kickin with 204,000 miles—all with the original engine and automatic trans, and I hauled my 2,000lb Jet Skis all the time. I did add a trans cooler though. That truck was 2WD and had a 3500 tow rating, the same as my new 2WD Ridgeline. Though I won’t likely tow with the Ridgeline, if I need to, or we purchase a dune buggy or jet skis again, it can handle it. I just need a pavement pusher with good gas mileage and a truck bed. The Ridgeline is a grocery getter truck, heck it’s the same frame and powertrain as their Odyssey minivan and Pilot SUV. Go figure—beat me up here...

I need a mid-size truck to fit in my garage. If they still sold the mini trucks like the Toyota HiLux pickup or old Nissan Hardbody in the US, I’d be driving that. Garaging why vehicle extends its life exponentially and most garages can’t fit even the 1 ton F150/Silverados-actually my new garage can, but it’s a custom-build climate controlled he-shed, so it’s an anomaly.

My V6 Nissan Frontier has a trailer haul rating of 6500lbs. That’s really good for any box frame truck. Full disclosure, I did tow a friends fishing boat from his house to a mountain lake slip (shout to Big Bear Lake!), and that torquey engine handled it like nothing. My last mini HiLux left me still kickin with 204,000 miles—all with the original engine and automatic trans, and I hauled my 2,000lb Jet Skis all the time. I did add a trans cooler though. That truck was 2WD and had a 3500 tow rating, the same as my new 2WD Ridgeline. Though I won’t likely tow with the Ridgeline, if I need to, or we purchase a dune buggy or jet skis again, it can handle it.

Ford Ranger?

A friend bought a Taco and took it back, taking a bath. He couldn't handle the archaic ride quality like he thought he could. Bought a Ridgeline. For those whose requirements it meets, it's a great choice.

When I bought my 09 ram I really liked the new Tundras but the Dodge was $37k and the Toyota was $55k. It’s time for a new one and I figured now that the rams are $55k-$65k that the Tundras went up too but they didn’t. When I looked into them they had horrible reviews of the ride. You can tell by the little rims and tires on all of them that suspension/handling was an afterthought. My problem now is if I get a shiny new dodge for $60k I’m not gonna want to use it for hauling loads and scratching it up. Not for a while anyway until it already has a bunch of dings. So I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep my truck for projects and get a Charger for a daily use. The Charger is much cheaper $45k loaded so the end price is the same without having to trade my truck in. Best of both worlds.

When I bought my 09 ram I really liked the new Tundras but the Dodge was $37k and the Toyota was $55k. It’s time for a new one and I figured now that the rams are $55k-$65k that the Tundras went up too but they didn’t. When I looked into them they had horrible reviews of the ride. You can tell by the little rims and tires on all of them that suspension/handling was an afterthought. My problem now is if I get a shiny new dodge for $60k I’m not gonna want to use it for hauling loads and scratching it up. Not for a while anyway until it already has a bunch of dings. So I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep my truck for projects and get a Charger for a daily use. The Charger is much cheaper $45k loaded so the end price is the same without having to trade my truck in. Best of both worlds.

Keep in mind Ford typically takes $10k-$15k off sticker for F-150s. I got my $63k King Ranch for around $50k.

So does Dodge. I Always buy early fall when the new ones are on their way with up to $6k factory rebate. Plus a deal through my work that adds another $4500(ish). And then another $1k from USAA for some kind of member rewards thing.

@Newdude I too waited until August to buy, as the 2020s come in. I absolutely stole this Ridgeline, I’m seriously thinking I did. They still had 2018s that I could have got about $500 cheaper-the AWD ones, but I don’t need AWD and the model year does matter for resale since a 2018 is basically a 2017. It ended up being $2300 less than what Costco’s discount was, good old haggling still wins out when the manufacturers give hidden dealer incentives in Aug-Labor Day. It’s crazy if it’s the right vehicle and the Ridgelines just aren’t selling. For every RL they sell, they sell 4 Tacos and 3 Canyon/Colorado’s.

I have the 2017 Ridgeline. It's the best vehicle I've owned. It's also really great to have trunk space.
I know right! I love that hidden trunk space. I discovered the hidden lock in the glove box today. I cut some Masonite and use them as dividers to have areas for my dirty ratchet straps and then space for groceries too. I’m debating about a Tonneau cover, do you have one @GeorgiaPoolOwner? I feel only to protect the bed from our desert sun, because the trunk space is all I need to keep items secure. I have a simple tri-fold vinyl Tonneau on the Frontier. I think about $250 on Amazon.

A friend bought a Taco and took it back, taking a bath. He couldn't handle the archaic ride quality like he thought he could. Bought a Ridgeline. For those whose requirements it meets, it's a great choice.
I’m right with you. In 2015 we needed a new company truck to replace a dying base ‘99 F150 (w/25k original miles-but sunbeaten and leaky) so I was tasked to scope a deal for a basic low-trim truck. I knew we’d never get a deal on a Taco, but we love trucks, so let’s take off work to see the new body style Tacos that looked mean. I test drove a 2016 SR5 4cyl Crew Cab. I’m 6’1” and I could not get comfortable. The worst seating position ever. The 4 banger was noisy and clunky, it was kind of the same truck as the previous model. I felt like I was gonna crash, feet close to pedals but could barely reach the steering wheel while my head hit the roof—It was weird and maddening. I still see them and love their angular body lines.
We ended up getting a base long bed 2016 F150 for $24,000 OTD.
My RL is like a luxury car, full independent suspension, plenty of head room and great driving position. Love it.

Reactions: Newdude
No I don't have a cover. I don't really need one with the trunk space. Also, the material the bed is made of is very durable. A few years ago, GM ran a Super Bowl commercial comparing the Silverado and F-150 beds with landscaping rocks dropped on it. The point of the ad was to show that the Silverado bed was stronger because it only suffered dents and dings while the F-150 bed was cut up. Honda responded with its own test, and the composite bed wasn't damaged at all. The bed itself is also larger than other "mid size" trucks, as is the payload (about 1,500 lbs). What it lacks is towing capacity (5k for AWD and 3,500 for FWD). Another feature that I love is the dual action tailgate. It really makes it a lot easier to get into the bed or reach in to grab something from the front of the bed.

The only thing I regret was not springing for the RTL-E. It would have cost me about $5k more, and I would have gotten the AWD (better towing) and the in-bed speakers and power outlet. The AWD would be preferable for towing a boat, and the speakers/power outlet would be ideal for camping or tailgating (Go Dawgs!).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.