Thinking of getting a truck....

I have a 2012 Silverado 1500 LT with a 5.4L V8, tow package, sprayed in bedliner and bed rail caps, a rubber bed mat, low profile chrome tool box, and fancy chrome wheels and running boards. Gorgeous All leather interior and all power everything and I Love My Truck. - hey that reminds me of a Toby Keith song!

My brother has a loaded 2015 F150, and it's awesome too, but no matter what, Ford still means Found On Road Dead.

IMO, as far as style goes, the Ford doesnt even come close to my Silverado either.

Between my truck and my brothers, there is a stark difference in the ride quality. The 150 is very bumpy compared to my Silverado.

Ive not seen the Colorado up close, but from what I can see of them from a distance, they look nice.

Can you tell yet that when it comes to trucks, Im chevy all the way?

A few years ago I bought a used Camry so my middle son could drive my 14 yr old Sienna van. A year later he hydroplaned into a Honda Civic and totaled both vehicles. I've always had something I could haul stuff in and downsizing to a sedan is a big adjustment, and trying to take a family of 4 camping is a no go! Around here you need a truck in the family! Hopefully in 2 more years I will be able to upsize to the Sequoia I was drooling over when shopping for sedans.

I love my 12 Ford F150 Lariat. I got it just to tow my toy to the track.

My vote is on the raptor, but I'm Ford biased [emoji41]
192a5941ad6fc344e3a3ec286d116a71.jpg

I second that^, or Tundra... I have owned both and yes, they all had 200+ miles on them, with no problems. Still on the road today!

I think Tundra is a great choice if you are in the market for a used truck, and/or your absolutely top/only concern is longevity and reliability. As far as the ride, handling, technology, gas mileage, and a whole bunch of other criteria, they are a decade behind Chevy, Ford, and Ram.

Well, disappointment has set in a bit, but perhaps some redemption as well. I finally got around to test driving the Raptor last night. Really nice looking fully loaded grey one with Raptor graphics package at my local Ford dealer. Only had 17 miles on it. Got in, got on the highway, I was actually really disappointed. The truck is under-powered for sure. I mean it probably has plenty of power for a truck, but it really seems to have less than my old 6 cylinder Silverado had. It claims 450 HP but I was not impressed at all. My main reasons for getting the Raptor was as a practical hauling vehicle, comfort as a daily driver, and performance when I wanted it. It really fit only the hauling note. The salesguy was really good and pointed out all the Raptor really is is a Lariat (3rd lowest of 7 trim levels) with a special package. So that sort of removes the "comfort as a daily driver" since it is "ok" but not "super ok". But - When we got back from that test drive I asked to drive a King Ranch (KR) with an 8 cylinder. The performance with the 8 was really on par with the Raptor's twin turbo 6 but it sounds a LOT better (like a truck should). And to boot, the shift points of the 10 speed auto were WAY better. The Raptor was already in like 7th or 8th at only 50 (unless you held it) but the KR's gearing was spaced out way more for better acceleration. Interior is SUPER sweet with FULL leather (not just seating areas) in a reddish tan color. Overall I was much happier with performance on the KR. Here's the rub too - they have a demo in the showroom very nicely equipped and stickering at $63k on "clearance" for $51k and he indicated there was a little more wiggle room in that price. It had 5k miles but was absolutely looking brand-spanking new and of course would title as new and warranty would start at 5k. I did get the measurements of the length of the KR. It is 232" bumper to bumper. That is so close to my absolute garage length that I literally would have to put it in to see if it actually fits in my garage. I do NOT like my cars sitting out in the elements! I told him all the stars would have to align for me to get it including getting a good price for my trade. I was thinking of seeing what Carmax will offer and then letting him make an offer just to see what's what. I almost have to trade though since my trade is worth $35kish and in MD the only way I get the sales tax savings is to actually trade car for car. That is over $2k so very significant. We'll see!

Here is what it looks like. It looked totally brown to me but they call this "magma red".

vehicle.png

That King Ranch is a nice truck. Definitely worth shopping around your trade. carmax is usually really low, but not always. You should also drive a Chevy and get their trade-in offer. When I traded in my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, Chevy offered me 21k, and Ram only would go to 14k! There can be a huge difference.

Glad you are narrowing down your search even it it's not the first one you had in mind. Something like you are looking at is my future retirement truck. That or maybe a Sierra Denali.

Yes, on the MD sales tax issue. However, selling it private party will usually yield more than a $2K difference in selling price vs trade-in at that price level. But it's a hassle. And the more expensive the vehicle, the harder it is to sell private party I would expect. Though I've never sold a newer car PP, just lots of older cars.

I would make sure you're sitting when they give you the trade-in price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know if your into tuning but if you tune an ecoboost then their another animal. I have a 14 f150 ecoboost 4x4 lariat. Check out f150forum.com for what owners are saying

Yeah my stepson was telling me all about the tuning capabilities of the ecoboost last night on the way back from the dealer. $500 for a tune and something to 500hp. $5k for something and something else to get you to 550 hp. I used to be all into that but for now I just want to drive and enjoy! He is all talking about taking this thing Baja offroad racing "like it was designed for" and I am all about taking this thing cruising "like it was designed for". lol. I'd bet you can count on 1 hand the percent of people that buy the Raptor and actually take it off-road.

for sure. I really like the raptor look too. Its not everyones cup of tea but I swapped my lariat grill for an aftermarkert raptor grill. I lifted it and put 35" tires. Then got HID headlights and sent them to raptor retrofits to get evil eye leds installed. It looks like a whole new truck from when I purchased it. I took all the decals and badging off so it has a clean look

for sure. I really like the raptor look too. Its not everyones cup of tea but I swapped my lariat grill for an aftermarkert raptor grill. I lifted it and put 35" tires. Then got HID headlights and sent them to raptor retrofits to get evil eye leds installed. It looks like a whole new truck from when I purchased it. I took all the decals and badging off so it has a clean look

Pics?

Lol... Just went to your signature to see details of your truck and took me a second to figure out what I was looking at!

I like the V8 as well. I've always been real suspect of these turbo systems... But I have to admit they appear here to stay and seem to be proving themselves over time. Get the V8 while it's still an option, I think Ford would've dropped them altogether except for those of us who still don't want a turbo and prefer the V8 sound and feel.

Lol... Just went to your signature to see details of your truck and took me a second to figure out what I was looking at!

I like the V8 as well. I've always been real suspect of these turbo systems... But I have to admit they appear here to stay and seem to be proving themselves over time. Get the V8 while it's still an option, I think Ford would've dropped them altogether except for those of us who still don't want a turbo and prefer the V8 sound and feel.

There is also a diesel option for $3k more. It gets 22mpg too. Gotta test that one they have a few in stock.

Glad you are narrowing down your search even it it's not the first one you had in mind. Something like you are looking at is my future retirement truck. That or maybe a Sierra Denali.

Yes, on the MD sales tax issue. However, selling it private party will usually yield more than a $2K difference in selling price vs trade-in at that price level. But it's a hassle. And the more expensive the vehicle, the harder it is to sell private party I would expect. Though I've never sold a newer car PP, just lots of older cars.

I would make sure you're sitting when they give you the trade-in price.

I took a look at that Denali and it is very nice. I am going to try to get a test drive in it this weekend. Seems like F150s are way more than the competition (Silverado, Ram, GMC, etc).

There is also a diesel option for $3k more. It gets 22mpg too. Gotta test that one they have a few in stock.

I would hold off on the 3.0L diesel until it gets a couple years of real world experience under its belt. It may be a very good motor, but early 6.0L Power Strokes had many issues for the first few years after release in the early 2000's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.