thinking of emptying pool

Another interesting adventure in pool care at your house. Glad everyone survived and your equipment is okay.

Can you post a complete set of current test results?
Did you add any beach yet?
Did you add any stabilizer yet?

Rob, thank you. My husband takes care of the mushroom cloud. It hasn't been the most fun experience but what can I do? Learn from it all, I hope! Then he tried to help with the DE and now the pool is all cloudy. I told him to go to work and I'd take care of it, turned off the quick skim and opened the skimmer and added the other couple pounds of DE. We put about 4 lbs 4 oz. Now with the DE in the pool will that skew my #s?

As far as the pump I called my dad in MA and his logic made sense with saying if it didn't trip it was probably fine and we followed his directions of shutting off the sub panel breaker at the main valve (sub panel was already off since last night). Then we turned on the sub panel then the main panel and if it would've tripped we'd know we had a problem but he thought we didn't need to take off the panel since it never tripped and the amount of water inside was drips, not dripping.

That out of the way, the DE filter is dripping a bit from the top. We let out the air pressure. I'm thinking since it's still under warranty for 2 mths more we should call the PB. Anything else we should be considering regarding dripping coming from the top of the DE where the valve is? The dripping seems to be coming from under where the air release valve comes up from. It's a such a small drip I wouldn't worry about it at all if it weren't for the warranty coming to end. Maybe I can see how things settle, too. Is it common to leak for a while after getting it back and running? Is priming something I need to consider or do anything else other than letting the air out? thx! The worst parts r over.

Sorry, I can’t really give you any advice on your filter, as I have a cartridge filter. But there are plenty of people here that have them and will chime in.
MA? What part of MA? We just moved from Boston to here. Small world!! :)

thx. I'll have to look at where my numbers have been historically or what happens when i start with fresh water now. If I used to add as much acid as pool math said but my pH was still higher than I'd think I'd have more volume than 14400. However, I don't think I'm the greatest with the pH test so I'll have to consider an easier test like FC which still seemed tricky at times when SLAMing. with such a high CH maybe pH was going to be hard to get in check anyway or maybe since I didnt' get my TA down to 60 yet it was still rising too high. Then, with pH there's the offgassing I've heard one of the Rob's talk about here.

When you're ready to address your testing issues, and double check the volume via testing, first have a look at all your expiration dates. Chlorine can become less potent in six months, sooner if you or the place you bought it from stored it improperly. Yep, even a month-old jug or chlorine could be shot if they left the pallet out in the sun for days on the loading dock, so you never know. Acid? Not sure of its expiration tendencies. Check your reagents, too, some are only good for a year. And, same deal, some sources sell test kits and reagents that are closer to their expiration dates than being new. And double check that the strength of everything you're using (6%, 10%, etc) matches what you put into Pool Math. Don't trust that you once did this, brands and stores shift (mostly lower, for profit) these ingredient percentages from time to time.

Sounds like you have the rest under control.

Good luck and enjoy your pool this summer!

could it get worse? the city stopped by and put something on our door regarding us draining our pool into the street. i called them and they never called back and we've look for clean outs and can't locate one. We decided last minute to drain and tried to do it at night so the neighbor wouldn't complain. Now I don't know who complained and I'm going to wonder.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I can’t really give you any advice on your filter, as I have a cartridge filter. But there are plenty of people here that have them and will chime in.
MA? What part of MA? We just moved from Boston to here. Small world!! :)

western-springfield area. that's where i grew up

- - - Updated - - -

sounds like it's ok to measure with DE floating around in pool?
I also added 5 lbs CYA for now in Gene's stocking in the skimmer method for now and threw in some chlorine last night. I'll get measurements soon.

could it get worse? the city stopped by and put something on our door regarding us draining our pool into the street. i called them and they never called back and we've look for clean outs and can't locate one. We decided last minute to drain and tried to do it at night so the neighbor wouldn't complain. Now I don't know who complained and I'm going to wonder.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the city. Remember, it’s always better to ask for forgiveness then for permission!!;)

I wouldn’t worry to much about the city. Remember, it’s always better to ask for forgiveness then for permission!!;)

i'm still wondering who did it. my neighborly neighbor came by and said she wanted to see and asked if i called the city but she doesn't seem like one who would care. the guy next to her who is new to the neighborhood and being a homeowner is friendly with us but he was complaining about a neighbor emptying the pool in the street. i told him we don't all have clean outs in this neighborhood and trying to help him as a new home owner. what i'm wondering is, am i doing something wrong to the environment by putting the water in the street? is it cuz it's a waste of water? the city said they want #s of what's in the water. so if there was something in the water they didn't like would they say i couldn't dump it? i'm not being defensive (well a little bit) as much as trying to understand. i guess i could call them. i'll look at what it even says later. this was not the most important thing i had to do today by any means but gotta get some chemicals in this pool at least and get it going.

while i was waiting to hear back regarding if i can measure pool water with DE in it I checked tap water and then i'll just measure pool water and see how it turns out.
I think I did a better job this time.
tap:

pH=8.2
TA= 130
CH=225
salt=800

I can't believe pool math regarding how much salt. the sticker on my panel says to add 2700-3400 salt. on pool math it doesn't say ppm or anything, just "salt." I like the idea of sticking with the bare minimum for evaporation. it's saying 229 lbs to reach 2700. On the bag of morton quicker dissolve professionals choice pool salt for a 15000 gallon pool to reach 2500 it says to add 3 40 lb bags. i thought i recalled the pool guy at start up adding 1-2. I want to make sure to get advice on this but I think I'll add one bag for now. just pour it in the bottom of the pool and brush? In-floor is on, too

As to the leak at the filter. I assume you have the pressure gauge and relief valve on top. If so you can try removing it and wrapping the threads with plumbers tape. Don't over tighten it when you replace it.

This should be done with the pump off so you don't have Old Faithful in your yard :)

i really need a pH kit. can someone recommend one? taylor, I think?

- - - Updated - - -

As to the leak at the filter. I assume you have the pressure gauge and relief valve on top. If so you can try removing it and wrapping the threads with plumbers tape. Don't over tighten it when you replace it.

This should be done with the pump off so you don't have Old Faithful in your yard :)

it doesn't seem to be leaking from something that is able to twist off but i'll look at it more later. thx for reminder of old faithful. the way things r going and i rush to get this stuff done it'd be like me to do that!

- - - Updated - - -

Check your City website for info on draining pools. Our's is less restrictive than some. If you actually live in Phoenix, here are your guidelines. Been following this thread, so I know you probably have enough on your plate, but here you go. https://www.phoenix.gov/waterservices/customerservices/generalinfo/poolinfo
thanku. no time like the moment, although i do have bigger fish to fry today but thx for the info! i opened it as another tab. hopefully we'll get it together and get to research water softeners next to not have to empty the pool for many years. Seems like it'd buy us many years as we'd only have to worry about salt build-up for the most part at that point!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i'm still wondering who did it. my neighborly neighbor came by and said she wanted to see and asked if i called the city but she doesn't seem like one who would care. the guy next to her who is new to the neighborhood and being a homeowner is friendly with us but he was complaining about a neighbor emptying the pool in the street. i told him we don't all have clean outs in this neighborhood and trying to help him as a new home owner. what i'm wondering is, am i doing something wrong to the environment by putting the water in the street? is it cuz it's a waste of water? the city said they want #s of what's in the water. so if there was something in the water they didn't like would they say i couldn't dump it? i'm not being defensive (well a little bit) as much as trying to understand. i guess i could call them. i'll look at what it even says later. this was not the most important thing i had to do today by any means but gotta get some chemicals in this pool at least and get it going.

Not sure of where you are exactly, but here in Chandler, the sewer drains don’t go into the sewer, but rather parks, retention areas, etc. That’s why they want you to do it in your clean out, because then it goes right into the sewer.

Just give them a sample of your current water, and just tell them you had to empty because of plaster repair work.

Would you mind a little tough love? You can ponder who reported you, but what you did by draining your water that way, if doing so does in fact violate local ordinances, was not cool and you can't really fault a neighbor for calling you out on it.

Depending on where the street run off goes, yes, you could have definitely impacted your local environment. Your city is most likely concerned with the salt or the chlorine. Chlorine could have, probably should have, been neutralized before you dumped it. That might have been what they were after. If the run off goes to a river or lake or planted area, salt could kill off all kinds of things. Cities can mandate that you truck the water out. Sewer systems are designed to handle certain types of waste. Gutters are usually designed to handle rain water, and not much else. They can connect directly and without filtering, to rivers, lakes, ocean, etc.

Sorry, don't mean to beat you up, but you really should have called the city first, and if you're being honest with yourself, you know that, or else you wouldn't have worried about what time of the day you drained your pool, yes?

Don't be mad at your neighbor(s), they have a right to protect their neighborhood, just as you do. As you should do. You'll either get a warning or a fine. Take your lumps. A lesson for next time...

No-fun-allowin'-Dirk

Not sure of where you are exactly, but here in Chandler, the sewer drains don’t go into the sewer, but rather parks, retention areas, etc. That’s why they want you to do it in your clean out, because then it goes right into the sewer.

Just give them a sample of your current water, and just tell them you had to empty because of plaster repair work.

we'll see if i need to even bother calling them back. i think it may be a warning but they may want a call back. i wonder if it would be worth it to put in a clean out. i do hate to waste water. plus and minus to everything...

- - - Updated - - -

:confused: You posted a pH result earlier, what kit are you using now?

i'm using the kit that came with the pool 3 yrs ago. i dont' know how the other one got lost. babysitter, kids. who know. i think it was taylor? i could prob look back. Gene, I got whatever u recommended. What do u recommend? thx!

Would you mind a little tough love? You can ponder who reported you, but what you did by draining your water that way, if doing so does in fact violate local ordinances, was not cool and you can't really fault a neighbor for calling you out on it.

Depending on where the street run off goes, yes, you could have definitely impacted your local environment. Your city is most likely concerned with the salt or the chlorine. Chlorine could have, probably should have, been neutralized before you dumped it. That might have been what they were after. If the run off goes to a river or lake or planted area, salt could kill off all kinds of things. Cities can mandate that you truck the water out. Sewer systems are designed to handle certain types of waste. Gutters are usually designed to handle rain water, and not much else. They can connect directly and without filtering, to rivers, lakes, ocean, etc.

Sorry, don't mean to beat you up, but you really should have called the city first, and if you're being honest with yourself, you know that, or else you wouldn't have worried about what time of the day you drained your pool, yes?

Don't be mad at your neighbor(s), they have a right to protect their neighborhood, just as you do. As you should do. You'll either get a warning or a fine. Take your lumps. A lesson for next time...

No-fun-allowin'-Dirk

that's helpful. i can take tough love if done in that way. :) i did want to know the impact to the environment. i did call the city but the guy never called back. i got confused as i had it in my head a phrase that someone said here once "it's silly to empty your pool..." and I had to look back to see the rest of the sentence was "every year like the pool store recommends." In my head I thought I would not have to empty my pool for many many years if ever with the TFP method. When I was being told here that yes, was prob time to empty, 2 weeks had gone by, the city never called back and temps were raising, so that's what i did. With that, though, all bad planning on my part and yes, it's something i did wrong, not the neighbor. Now i have to consider if i am going to get a soft water system since i do not like the idea of wasting water although knowing if i get a cleanout it may not all be wasted is a nice thought, too. good to understand there is a good reason for the permit. that helps actually. i can't see any of this going down like this next time. maybe a clean out and a soft water system. is there a chance i'd need a clean out for something else besides the pool? if so, it makes it more worth it. I imagine it'll be pricey, but we plan on staying in this home forever (or we wouldn't have put in the pool). :)

- - - Updated - - -

I hope the reagent is newer than 3 years old. They would be no good by now.

Taylor K-1000 Basic OTO Test Kit

who knows how old the one i'm using it. i got it 2 years and 10 mths ago. how long it sat at the pb i dont know. that's the one i was looking for! thx!
in the meantime, the one i am using does change with pH but I was never able to get it down to 7.2 like I tried with pool math before the pool drain (hence what started the whole pool drain). I wonder what's a sign of them going bad?

new pool water:

salt 2000.
CH=225
pH=8.2
FC=0
I didn't think I needed to measure anything else and didn't have to measure pH. I added a gallon of chlorine, 60 oz of acid, and now pool math says if I want to get from 2000 to 2700 salt i need to add 84 lbs of salt?

The amount of salt blows me away. I'm glad I didn't add any before checking! I wonder if salt ultimately continues to sink to the bottom. It was added 3 yrs ago and there was maybe 7 inches of water left in pool after drain. I would've thought it would've been very well mixed in and would not have sunk at the bottom and if anything the calcium would've sunk to the bottom in parts, but CH was same as faucet water. Salt is so high! Or did I measure it wrong from my tap? I can't imagine it'd be that high and was confident about that test.

84 lbs of salt, is that right? dump in and then brush? Got 5 lbs CYA dissolved so I'll measure soon. now I'll be worried if that all sunk to bottom. I didn't think I needed to check CYA what a nightmare that would be. I was thinking I'm starting off at almost zero and last 3 yts went sooooo slow. ugh. I'll be glad when this is done now.

who knows how old the one i'm using it. i got it 2 years and 10 mths ago. how long it sat at the pb i dont know. that's the one i was looking for! thx!
in the meantime, the one i am using does change with pH but I was never able to get it down to 7.2 like I tried with pool math before the pool drain (hence what started the whole pool drain). I wonder what's a sign of them going bad?
If it's 3 years old it probably (likely) reading low as it is. Don't ask how I know this. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.