Aug 16, 2020
Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi everyone!

thinking of putting in a fiberglass pool next season, obviously need to purchase before then. We are looking between 2 different installers at a Latham Lincoln and Latham Valencia. The Lincoln installed is $38,000 the Valencia $38,500. I’d have to contract out electrical for both.

The Lincoln from Company 1 includes: Excavation, plumbing, backfill, 3 ft concrete, basic filter, handrail, solar and winter cover, solar reel, maintenance kit, chemical kit and auto chlorination.

the Valencia from Company 2 includes: Excavation, dirt removal, back filing, topography survey if needed, plumbing, concrete, permits, extended warranty on filters,T vacuum system, LED light kit, winter cover, tanker of water

does anyone have either of these models both are approx 14x28-30ft. So it really comes down to install and what you get. Which install package looks better? I don’t know much about pool installs.

our location isn’t near the house because our yard while large isn’t flat, so electrical will have to trench approx 80 fT. I can dig the trench myself but obviously the line will need to be run. I assume that happens after the pool is installed. I’d also do the fence myself and add on a patio myself in the future.

I hope I did this post right. It’s my first one! Thank you for any and all insight.

Reactions: Apsuhead
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Your proposals are a bit different than mine, but I'll try to give you a few tips to go on and hopefully others will reply soon:
- Any FG install should include at the very least: Excavation, drop-in and leveling, plumbing, lighting, grounding/bonding, equipment pad set-up, and a basic decking around the pool.
- Check on the backfill material used; you want fine stone or gravel if possible not sand
- In your area, if you experience a high water table, ask about drainage around the pool or maybe even a collection point with sump pump if needed
- A maintenance and chemical kit will probably be very basic; (brush, net, test strips, etc). Perhaps not a big help; we recommend the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C which I'm sure they won't provide.
- My installer wanted to know the electric would be ready as soon as the pool was dropped in; you might wish tom confirm; perhaps because they fill the pool right away once level and packed.
- Concrete decking shrinks fast once you put a few chairs out there; be prepared to ask for more if you can afford it or plan for more space later
- An auto-chlorinator is probably nothing more than a tablet dispenser. Not ideal for long-term seasonal use because tabs increase CYA over time. So be prepared to add chlorine manually (liquid) or invest in a salt water generator (SWG).
- Vacuum system? Maybe they're making it out to seem more than it is? Maybe that's just a simple vacuum like a Barracuda or something?
- Ask each installer for a detailed list of the equipment: Pump type/size, type filter/size, etc.
- Tanker of water? I suspect you're on a well huh? If so, that is a good thing. Well water is a pain (iron)

Try to get as much info as you can from them before you commit. Post back here and everyone will be happy to help.

There are crews that do 1 day installs. Theres a guy in PA who does it. Pool shows up plumbed and ready. Not what you want done for long term quality. It's all in the details. Usually these packages include basics and its alot of upcharge and addons. The same exact pool in 2 different yards can be 10k difference in price due to dirt removal, access, drainage needs, excavation difficulty, etc. I could never give a package price I'd have to say starting at $xx.xx in ideal site and it goes up from there

To add to Jimmy's line of thinking, one thing to consider in these "packages" is the restoration of the yard. Some of the PB quotes I got back when I was looking, didn't mention any of that. Dirt removal can be "extra", as well as putting the yard back to where it was before you started (grass, trees, fences, etc.). You could do it yourself, or hire a landscaper, but either way, realize this is also a cost some quotes don't' address in the beginning.

Reactions: Gtech145
Thank you all for the responses. I’m completely new to this! Both builders I’ve spoke with have excellent reviews from neighbors and online, BBB, Nextdoor etc.
I do plan on expanding a patio, but will probably do it myself...same with the fencing.

Neither place does their own electric and require that I contract it out.

Both also do the 1 day install thing, of course concrete is done later and both use gravel not sand as a base. Oh and yea, I have a well, would not ever consider using that to fill the pool.

here’s the exact list from the one builder I’m leaning towards:

• Professional Pool Excavation
• All Unnecessary Dirt removed (this is for the pool itself, not retaining walls)
• Complete Professional Installation, over 3000 pools installed
• All Backfilling & Grading, concrete deck ready
• Topography Survey, if needed for Township permit approval
• Five sets of blue prints for permit, if necessary
• All permit applications handled by our in-house permit department
• Jandy Filtering System of choice, Sand, Cartridge, or Diatomatious Earth
• Three-year Extended Warranty on all Filters, Sal Systems, Pumps, Heaters and Heat pumps.
• Three feet of cantilevered concrete decking around the pool
• All plumbing from pool to filter, skimmers, inlets, and drains
• 1 surface skimmer & 2 clean water inlets
• Complete vacuum system
• Chlorine Free Pristine Blue, EZ Pool, Chlorine (JandySalt System Incl. at a charge)
• LED Pro Series Light Kit, 9 color rotation/5 Color Shows
• Pool Water testing kit
• Wall & bottom cleaning brush
• Deluxe Winter pool cover (Safety cover is optional at a charge)
• One tanker of Water Included

+1 on what gingrbredman mentioned regarding the landscaping. That's the one thing I did not price out for my FG install but the builder I had ended up taking care of it. The rough grading of the yard was included but he took care of the sod for an additional fee off contract. So definitely consider the path the heavy machinery will take to get to the dig and any landscaping around it. In the end it all worked out since my builder did all the work himself minus the electric which he contracted out...but I never dealt with anyone besides him. Maybe ask the builders if they mind providing some references so you can find out who they used for electric.

Reactions: Rich D
They sent me who they usually use. The problem is the closet FG builder is an hour away so I don’t want to use their local electric guy at a premium to travel that far when I can find my own...we have other pool installers and electricians that deal with wiring pools just none of the installers deal with FG.

as for landscaping...it’s a blank slate of grass honestly. Probably more weed then grass so I’m not too concerned about it. Not even a tree around the area where we want to put the pool. Just going to have to remove a section of fence.

C701E0A6-8E2D-49F9-B327-3AD669C77935.jpeg

Im going to talk to the builder on Thursday. Any questions I need to ask? The Valencia is $40k with the install package I posted above. If the hit rock there is an extra cost but he said usually even if they do they can get through it without a hammer.

I have a long distance from the house to the pool about 80ft. So either the plumbing or electrical will have to be trenched That length, knowing that’s an extra cost...which is better to run the length?

mill be doing all fencing and landscaping myself so no worry about that. And someone asked haul away of dirt is included. And a free robotic vacuum if contract is signed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.