Thinking about using muriatic acid to etch glasses.. has anyone done this?

Why cut the pods up when you can just buy liquid or powder detergent and use less.

Never use "Lemon" type dishwashing detergent. That stuff is hard on good dishes and glassware.

My good wine glasses get handwashed. I do like those new roundish stem-free wine glasses you see everywhere now. They're pretty inexpensive and I'd toss those in the dishwasher.

Maddie :flower:
Once we use up our pods that's what we are going to do. Still looking for that "gentle" dishwashing detergent that all the articles recommend we should use to avoid etching. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm open. Most of the marketing blurbs talk about working well in hard water, blasting off everything.. I can't find one recommended for soft water.

A year or two I experimented with ma for house use and would "dilute" 31% to 8 or 16% and had very great results at removing calcium scale from years of 250 ch abuse on the house. After some rusty drains and a possible broken dishwasher (pump out) I found that if vinegar doesn't do it you should really find a different way as grabbing the big hammer even at "8%" can be a bit harsh.

The Chloride can hang around for ages causing all sorts of issues. Better to use phosphoric or sulfamic acids if you need a stronger acid around the house. I switched from HCl to H2SO4 for pickling metal as even when neutralised the chloride in the HCl just kept on causing havoc (especially on anything with copper in it).

i'm with @mguzzy ; I used to use hydrofluoric acid in a previous life. Acids that etch glass are nasty to be around and, of course, dangerous.

Yeah, HF is not something you'd want to have around the house. In my metallurgy lab years, I used 49% HF to dissolve superalloys for chemical analysis and I was never entirely comfortable about that task. :eek:

So.. @poolnoobgrandma ... I never thought this thread would still be going! I'm curious, did you try washing your glasses with vinegar (Acetic Acid) or MA (diluted)? I'm curious if that had any effect on the deposit/etch? or did you go Greek and smash them to smithereens!
I never thought it would still be going either! Neither diluted MA, nor vinegar, nor rubbing with baking soda, nor acetone have touched the ugly clouding on these glasses. New ones delivered on Saturday, old ones will get TOSSED. (Smashing them would be satisfying, but then we'd have to deal the broken glass)

If you want to see what prolonged exposure to chemicals can do to a person, just take one good look at Matt’s fro! @JoyfulNoise used to use a shampoo & conditioner, now, just Miracle Grow & Dolomite.
View attachment 122673
Oh.. that's the story.. I thought he was somehow related to Bob Ross
Bob Ross - Wikipedia
Bob_at_Easel.jpg

Last edited:
Glass is pretty resistant to HCl, it is why you can get away with using common glass measuring cups for dosing.

One weird discovery I made when I decided to stop using dry acid (at all) in my hot tub is that Dry Acid + Salt + rubbing with your fingers (which you will lose a little skin, yes) works great for taking the scale off of the drains in sinks.. better than anything else I've ever used. One thing that helps to take off scale with the acid is common table salt.. it acts as a catalyst. (I now use 0.5-2 tablespoons of Muriatic acid diluted in about 48 oz of RO water and then add that to the tub...works a lot better, honestly)

But in your case with the glass already etched... there isn't much that reacts with glass -- it's been covered here in depth... It's probably not worth using anything that CAN etch it... glassware is cheap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.