Think I was given the wrong size filter.

Tkeough15

Jul 25, 2020
Syracuse, NY
Hi! First time post here. I have be struggling keeping my pool clean this year. I have a 17k gallon above ground with a Prentair Clean and clear Cartridge filter. On the outside of the the cylinder it says that the replacement filter is 150 SQ. Ft. When I was cleaning it I noticed that the filter we were given at install is only 125. I thought that the general rule of thumb was 100 SQ ft per every 10k gallons. So I guess my questions are....

1. Was I given the wrong filter in the first place?
2. Could this be contributing to my chemistry issues?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

1. Was I given the wrong filter in the first place?

We recommend the bigger the better for a cartridge filter. I would have suggested a 250-300 sq ft filter.

There is no right or wrong on filter size. A smaller filter will require cleaning more often. The size of the filter does not determine how well it functions.

2. Could this be contributing to my chemistry issues?

No. Filtering does not affect water chemistry. Filtering affects water clarity.

Last edited:
So even if the filter housing is clearly marked with what filter should be in it, they can put whatever they want in it?

You should get what is on your purchase contract.

You have something in writing on what you were buying?

Is there a small plate that lists your model# & serial # then you could correspond that to the chart? That’s how mine is.
it does seem as though the 150 is punched out.

Welcome to TFP!

If the filter fits, then it is likely working. The more important thing is that it is 100% NOT the cause of difficulty keeping your water clear. There is a chemistry problem at hand that needs tended to first and foremost.

We looked. The system is listed but the specific filter is not. The only thing that we have with a connection to the recommended filter is this....

The 150 hole punch indicates the filter size you should have.

Complain to whoever supplied the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.