Think I have black algae??

Rich G

Apr 7, 2018
WPB, FL
Not sure how I would get it but based on googles opinion that’s what it is.... wanted to reach out to you guys.

I test my water every two weeks and usually the only thing that needs adjustment is the PH and TA.. here are my readings from this morning

FC 8
pH 7.8
TA 110
CH 300
CYA 80
Salt 2690
I put in acid this morning and plan on getting some salt this afternoon.....

I’ve read the best way to handle the algae is get some chlorine tablets and scrub them... is that true?

Thanks!
Rich

Edit sorry, I originally put CC but meant FC

Attachments

• C90D8659-36C0-4D01-9E6B-2BFCF715103F.jpeg
    C90D8659-36C0-4D01-9E6B-2BFCF715103F.jpeg
    607.7 KB · Views: 22
  • F8B868E5-F808-423F-9337-E44EA396DF2E.jpeg
    F8B868E5-F808-423F-9337-E44EA396DF2E.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
CC 8??? FC??? That correct?

What is your FC?

With CYA 80 your FC target is 9-11 and if you have black algae you should run it up around 20.

Maybe that’s my Issue? I’ve always thought FC was between 3-5 with a salt water pool?
Rich,

*** Edit.*** Never mind, I just missed it! Your signature seems to have been deleted. Can you please add it back?

Thanks.

Chris

Maybe that’s my Issue? I’ve always thought FC was between 3-5 with a salt water pool?

Missed that you were SWG. FC needs to go up to around 20 for black algae. Read the article.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rich,

Now that I've had my second cup, let me get to your question. Hard to tell if your algae is black algae from the photos, it really looks like generic algae. Does it vacuum off, if so it's probably generic algae. SLAM should do it. If it's black algae see this link.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Rich,

Now that I've had my second cup, let me get to your question. Hard to tell if your algae is black algae from the photos, it really looks like generic algae. Does it vacuum off, if so it's probably generic algae. SLAM should do it. If it's black algae see this link.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Really hard to say... honestly brushing doesn’t touch it so for weeks I’ve just assumed it was stained plaster... but then someone on a local Facebook group had something similar but worse and everyone was saying black algae... it doesn’t “look”like algae to me as far as what I’m used to mold looking like..

To test I took a pvc pipe and put it over a spot and poured acid in and let it sit for like 20 seconds and it went away... didn’t work on a second spot... obviously this approach won’t work on some of the angles and stuff plus I don’t wanna put too much acid in.

So thanks for the help guys... would you think just getting a couple gallons of chlorine and dumping them in is the right move here, opposed to just setting the generator high and waiting? Not sure how fast it reacts to setting changes.

So thanks for the help guys... would you think just getting a couple gallons of chlorine and dumping them in is the right move here, opposed to just setting the generator high and waiting? Not sure how fast it reacts to setting changes.

Good idea, we recommend shutting the SWG off for a SLAM. Much easier to know how much FC is being added and not have to guess how much was done by the SWG. SWG usually can't get the FC high enough anyway.

Chris

Okay great... so another question.. pools been like this for weeks... I have my two year olds bday party at our house next weekend and the pool is gonna play a big part... water is beautiful and rchemistry is close... should I hold off slamming until next Sunday after the party? If I mess up the pool my wife will kill me.

On a side note, I’m willing to jump in the pool with a stainless brush and chlorine tablet and scrub.

Black algae process is not the SLAM Process.

I would raise the FC to 20 using LC with the SWG on. Then use the SWG to maintain the FC 20. Then you have to do lots of aggressive brushing of the areas.

Okay great... so another question.. pools been like this for weeks... I have my two year olds bday party at our house next weekend and the pool is gonna play a big part... water is beautiful and rchemistry is close... should I hold off slamming until next Sunday after the party? If I mess up the pool my wife will kill me.

Have you read the black algae article? It is not slamming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.