things a novice learns that the experts might not think to pass on….

Actually, I don't use my stirrer for the CYA test. I just shake it per the instructions, and shake it again after 30 seconds, then do the test. The real value of a stirrer is when you are counting drops. It makes it so much easier, not to have to swirl with one hand and do drops with the other hand.

sorry for the confusion, epro5, I saw where chiefwej posted he used his speedstir for mixing his CYA sample and I was curious if he stirred for 30 sec, like you shake by hand

The primary reason I use the speedstirer for CYA is that I reduce the sample size and reagent used.

ok, when I look closer I can see it's rigid. The upper right corner looked like plastic wrap and I wondered how it held the vials off the fan. That makes sense with 6 volts. Those fans turn too many rpms at 12v. I could see the beans flying everywhere.

Now I have a new project, thanks.

By the way, chief, how long do you stir your CYA mix before testing ?

I tried that once...took a lot of cleaning and rinsing to get the cloudy out of the test cylinder. Won't do that again!

Hi Ernie - great post for this novice, thank you! Would you mind telling me exactly what to purchase for the Speed Stirrer, beans, vials, etc? Not sure what a sample sizer is? I do have the TFP text kit though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Amy Jo,
Its handy to have a few "beans" which is the little magnetic pill that goes in the test tube and spins around to mix the solution.
1 bean for every test except CYA is what a lot of folks do. It speeds up testing, because then you dont have to risnse teh bean off thuroughly to go on to the next test.

Its not a bad idea of have an extra bean or 2 for just in case one goes down the sink, or the dog eats it.

Same goes for the test tubes. One tube for each test.

The sample sizer is sort like a syringe. I sucks up just the right amount of water to do the test so you dont have to thump the tube to get out extra water or try and add 1 drop and over do it,..back and forth.

hope this helps,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.