Thickness agp pool liners

Apr 4, 2010
I had my AGP replaced and I'm confused I felt the liner was a little thin so i found out where it came from and called and was told the liner was 12 to 14 mil thick I was expecting 20 to 25 gauge .
The person who answered the phone said that thickness was only used for in ground applications.After the pool was filled I went in this weekend and found several issues I didn't like .I going slow and trying to research this I spoted a clear thumb gouge in the liner above where i have the water so it isn't leaking yet.actually there is a genuine leak somewhere near the bottom with visible water outside the pool.I talked with Swim and play and she said if I had order direct it would have been 20 gauge .The installer seemed a great guy he came recommended as the AGP expert .It is an oval pool 18x33x52 and several installers around here wont touch oval anyway any thoughts would be appreciated It is a Mistic II

I had my AGP replaced and I'm confused I felt the liner was a little thin so i found out where it came from and called and was told the liner was 12 to 14 mil thick I was expecting 20 to 25 gauge .
The person who answered the phone said that thickness was only used for in ground applications.After the pool was filled I went in this weekend and found several issues I didn't like .I going slow and trying to research this I spoted a clear thumb gouge in the liner above where i have the water so it isn't leaking yet.actually there is a genuine leak somewhere near the bottom with visible water outside the pool.I talked with Swim and play and she said if I had order direct it would have been 20 gauge .The installer seemed a great guy he came recommended as the AGP expert .It is an oval pool 18x33x52 and several installers around here wont touch oval anyway any thoughts would be appreciated It is a Mistic II

Unfortunately you have been duped buy the marketing jargon of the pool liner suppliers! MIL thickness and GAUGE are not the same thing. MIL thickness is an actual measurement whereas GAUGE is just a 'fabricated' number that has no real basis in reality. There is some correlation between them but since GAUGE is not an actual measurement (not the same as wire thickness which is also gauge but is strictly regulated) there is no hard and fast rule that applies across the industry.
20 to 25 MIL (which is the thickness of what the standard above ground pool liners used to be 15 years ago) is equivalent to about 40 GAUGE. That thickness can still be found today (and isn't that much more expensive). But most suppliers advertise the 20 or 25 GAUGE (which is about 10-14 MIL). That is really thin!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.