The Zodiac "Barracuda" MX8 Suction Side Cleaner

I think it really depends on your needs. My experience is that the MX8 is a very good unit for most of the time. It does a good job of keeping the plaster clean and free of debris, including the occasional leaves. We've recently been hit by lots of wind, and this has been the cause of a huge amount of leaves in the bottom of my pool. In this case, the MX8 does seem to get clogged quite frequently. I am thinking of getting a robotic cleaner to deal with those times when the MX8 just can't do the best job. If your pool does not experience tons of leaves dropping in it, then the MX8 is probably just fine. If you have lots of debris falling to the bottom, then a robotic or pressure side cleaner might be a better option.

While I stand by my claim that the MX8 is not perfect for picking up large debris, I will also note a recent experience. As our pool has been filling up with lots of leaves and stems during recent windstorms, the MX8 was constantly getting jammed up, especially by twigs and pine needles. After cleaning the unit out, it would continue to do this, and seemed sort of sluggish after cleaning. I then tried applying more suction using the Jandy 3-way valve that regulates the suction side to the cleaner vs. skimmer. When I increased the vacuum, I noticed that the MX8 whizzed along through the pool much faster than usual, and it did a much better job of cleaning up the mess without getting stuck as often. The downside to this is that I get much more air and cavitation noise in the pump. But, it definitely seems to do a much better job of picking up all of the debris in the pool. I'm wondering where the air might be entering though. I may need to rebuild that Jandy valve as that seems to be the likely place where air is entering into the suction line. In any event, if you are having trouble with jams and poor performance, I would definitely suggest increasing the suction to the MX8.

I agree, higher suction is better, it acts more like a "dispose-all", chomping up the leaves.
As far as getting air in the line at high suction levels, I think you can blame the MX-8 hose design. It is not totally leak proof.
If I pick up the hose I can hear some air getting in.
At normal suction levels it is not a problem and the pump eventually "digests" the air.
I try to manually leaf rake, mainly so they don't fill up the pump basket, (it's small).

At least, all our trees are finally bare now.
John.

Are there pebble tech/sheen pool owners with good experiences with the mx8? I just wanted to confirm as we have a new pool/pebble sheen plaster...it's been 2 weeks and the pebble sheen should have completely cured and pool builder has given a basic lesson in using the mx8 vacuum. I've now briefly run the vacuum on my own in the new pool and have some concerns about whether it is picking up some pebbles, but it's hard to tell how much loose stuff was already waiting and some pebble loss is expected during the initial vacuum run after curing. I checked the pump basket and there is just a small amount of pebbles there, but I'm not sure if others made it into the de filter. We're using a variable speed pump - intelliflow, we dialed down the rpm to just where the vacuum is able to sustain itself going up the walls and at or below the "3" mark in the included flow meter.

Anyone have any comments on using the mx8 on pebble pools? I read the prior statements that properly installed pebble shouldn't have issues any different from other pools with the mx8, but wanted to hear additional validation before putting the mx8 on to our regular routine.

rv4hess said:
I agree, higher suction is better, it acts more like a "dispose-all", chomping up the leaves.
As far as getting air in the line at high suction levels, I think you can blame the MX-8 hose design. It is not totally leak proof.
If I pick up the hose I can hear some air getting in.
At normal suction levels it is not a problem and the pump eventually "digests" the air.
I try to manually leaf rake, mainly so they don't fill up the pump basket, (it's small).

At least, all our trees are finally bare now.
John.

So, with all of the leaves in our pool over the last couple of months, I can definitely attest that the MX8 needs a good amount of suction. The issue is that debris can and likely will clog up the cleaner lines. See my post here about this:

problem-with-cleaner-vacuum-line-t40108.html

But of course, to prevent clogging the cleaner line, you can use a leaf catcher. I was indeed using a leaf catcher in-line with the suction prior to the cleaner line, so I shouldn't have gotten clogs, right? Well, that Zodiac leaf catcher is, to put it mildly, garbage. I set it up as described, and it barely caught anything, with leaves visibly bypassing the basket and going straight into the cleaner line. After getting the cleaner line unclogged as described above, I immediately went out and purchased a much larger Hayward leaf catcher. This thing has about 3-4x the capacity and uses a strainer bag (similar to a pool net) inside a much larger plexi container. It is much easier to remove debris as well. The only trick is getting it to fit onto the funky Zodiac hoses for the MX8, but Leslie's and others sell parts to do exactly this. Zodiac really needs to come up with a better (and larger) design. With this new leaf catcher (and unclogged cleaner line), my MX8 is doing great and picking up even larger leaves and stems at the bottom and doesn't seem to get stuck like it used to.

MattM said:
CraigMW: do you remember the name of the parts you got from leslie's to fit the zodiac hose?

Matt, unfortunately I can't remember the names of the fittings, but I'll see if I can locate the receipt. One was simply a semi-clear tube with a flange in the middle. This piece fits inside both the hose (with the locking nubs) and the Hayward canister cleaner side. The other is a conical piece of rubber that fits on the suction end of the canister, with the flared end pointing toward the hose (with locking slots). The latter works, but apparently they have a newer and better connector that fits in the locking Zodiac hose. Also, the first part required some modification because it is slightly flared away from the flange on either end and could not go far enough into the Zodiac hose. I ended up using a vibrating multi-tool with a saw attachment to cut away some excess and then it fit perfectly inside the Zodiac hose. I'm sure if you head into your local Leslie's, someone will know how to configure it. Just ask them to grab a segment of Zodiac MX8 hose and the Hayward leaf catcher (W530).

You could also use the hayward type hose between the leaf catcher and the suction port - you only need one length and then you don't have to mess with the second adaptor. I'm assuming you don't need to use the inlin regulator valve since you can dial in speed with the pump.

At the point of being named a "spammer" of Aquabot, I will again say, "save the money and time" and buy a Aquabot or Dolphin. I used a skimmer suction cleaner for 2 years and it was nothing but trouble and cleaning of the filter. Buy a robotic cleaner and save yourself tons of time and effort.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stopped by leslies to pick up the hayward leaf canister plus adapters....didn't realize until I got home that the canister is apparently meant to go on top of the skimmer port rather than dedicated suction. Part #W560 (the small leaf catcher) - is the 530 different and designed for suction port?

dssxxxx said:
At the point of being named a "spammer" of Aquabot, I will again say, "save the money and time" and buy a Aquabot or Dolphin. I used a skimmer suction cleaner for 2 years and it was nothing but trouble and cleaning of the filter. Buy a robotic cleaner and save yourself tons of time and effort.

I may eventually go this route. For now, the combination of a unclogged cleaner vacuum line, an MX8 and a Hayward leaf catcher seems to be working well. The MX8 eventually gets fouled up by large leaves (esp. the occasional palm leaf), but is generally doing a great job at picking up leaves and depositing these into the leaf catcher. My only issue now is keeping the leaf catcher fully submerged, as it tends to collect some air, though this doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I do like the idea of the robotic types, but they are quite expensive and I've read of some rather expensive repairs that have to be undertaken on these from time to time.

Matt:

I have the large one and it would never fit inside my skimmer. It's designed to be placed in line with a vacuum hose (though the end of the vacuum hose could fit to either a skimmer or a cleaner line). I'd return the one you got and purchase the large one. It just means fewer cleanouts. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and have not yet had to clean out the leaf strainer net.

I bought this about 2 weeks ago for my FG pool. The MX8 has eliminated the time I spend vacuuming and has drastically reduced the time I spend brushing the walls and stairs. It's been extremely windy here in OK...coupled with a new build that has left the area around the pool nothing but dirt and dead grass...this thing is amazing. The pool is crystal clear after each pump cycle. It handles grass and dirt with ease. The only problem I see is that it has a tough time climbing past our safety ledge and over the seating areas in the deep end. I highly reccommend the MX8.

I have owned one for over a year and I hate it. My pool out in the open no screen enclosure and it moves about 10% of the time. I have to constantly clean the leaves and pine needles out of it to make it move. The slightest thing and it quits. Try something else. Thanks, Bob.

Edited to change from all caps. 257WbyMag - Forum Moderator

hanley06 said:
I have owned one for over a year and I hate it. My pool out in the open no screen enclosure and it moves about 10% of the time. I have to constantly clean the leaves and pine needles out of it to make it move. The slightest thing and it quits. Try something else. Thanks, Bob.

Edited to change from all caps. 257WbyMag - Forum Moderator

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is that you are not getting the proper suction to the cleaner. Our pool is surrounded by trees and we get all sorts of junk (including duck poop now !@!), and the MX8 keeps 95% of the pool perfectly clean. It's not very good at cleaning the stairs, and of course, it can't get into the spa. So, I need to do occasional manual vacuuming of those areas. Other than that, it works very well. The key is making sure your vacuum line is clear of debris. I was having problems of the unit getting clogged with leaves, and this still occasionally occurs. But, I've increased the vacuum to it and now it doesn't seem to stall too often. Around once every couple of weeks, I will pull it up and clean out any leaves. We have some palm debris and pine needles that are a bit more likely to cause it to clog, but this is usually pretty easy to clean.

Some tips: 1) get vacuum just right. Too little and it will easily clog and not adequately cover the pool. Too much and it will spend more time at the surface than you want, sucking up air. Also, too much vacuum and it will often get its "cat tracks" jammed. Once this is dialed in, things should go smoothly. 2) Get a big leaf catcher and put this in line toward the last hose section. This reduces the amount of junk going through the cleaner line, drastically reducing potential for clogs, etc. Plus, this keeps stuff out of the pump basket. This is really important, esp. if you have lots of leaves, etc. 3) Clean out any debris as needed. I usually do this about twice a month, or once a week when we've had lots of stuff blowing into the pool.

This unit may take a bit of trial and error, but it's worth it when you have a perfectly clean surface every day. I've had this nearly a year and think its a pretty good option, even in pools with relatively heavy levels of foliage dropping into it, as is our case.

I am looking to replace a Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, as small rocks which get into the pool (thanks dogs!) plug it regularly. I was at a Leslie's location and another customer had an MX-8 in for repair. The report was not good. Had it for about a year and the unit had been in for repair at least 3 times. Much of the internals are plastic and with use, end up getting out of round.
On a subsequent visit, I talked with the tech about the unit. His latest was that Zodiac determined that people are running their suction through at too high a level, which is running the unit at speeds higher than engineered and the parts have premature wear. Zodiac is looking at how to have some type of pressure limiter added to the suction line, but it is not out or published as yet.

The MX-8 looks like a good solution, with its abilities to clean the sides. I will watch what gets released by the manufacturer before moving ahead.

After having nothing but trouble with my Hayward Pool Vac Ultra for the last two years, I started looking at other options for a suction side cleaner. After reading through this thread and checking out ThePoolCleaner as well, I decided to go ahead and order the MX-8. I ended up ordering it on Ebay through A-1 Pool & Spa Supply for $358 with a $100 rebate card. I bought it with my Amex to get the extra year of warranty, and I figure for a little over $250, I would give it a shot. I'll report back next week with my impressions.

Mike

I bought it with my Amex to get the extra year of warranty, and I figure for a little over $250, I would give it a shot. I'll report back next week with my impressions.

Mike please post your impressions. I also see there is a $100 rebate adn would like to take advantage if it makes sense. Thanks

New pool owner

I am pretty frustrated with this thing. Maybe I had too high of expectations. I am a total newbie with pools but I thought I could set this and come back in a few hours with a clean pool. It is hooked up in my dedicated suction line. What I have found is after about 20 minutes it stops. It is not clogged and there is a lot of air in the pump basket. If I turn off and on the pump it runs again. If I increase the suction It will run again. If I backwash my sand filter or clean out my basket it will run again. But it only runs for about 20minutes. (By increase the suction I close one or both of the skimmers a little more. There seams to be a lot of air be let in by this thing. What else am I doing wrong? suggestions please...I want to like this but maybe I have to manual vacuum:-(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.