The TFP of lawns

Jul 17, 2016
Athens, GA
Hey, y'all! I've moved into a new house and no longer have a pool, but I do have a lawn to manage now. Is there a "TFP" of lawns? Something to demystify the alchemy of the lawn spray companies.

Thanks! I've learned so much from TFP over the years!

The Lawn Forum. But be forewarned, as much as TFP does to simplify pool care, TLF seems to complicate lawn care. Very in depth and you really need to be into your lawn to try to adopt their protocols!

Reactions: jark87
+1 on the Lawn Forum. But as @revitup said, its a rabbit hole. I am already about $1000 into chemicals and equipment. But my lawn does look way better. That does not include a new mower that I will have to get one day. Just looking for a decent battery powered reel mower.

I used to belong to a lawn forum exactly like this. It was well organized in the same formats except it was yellowish green instead of blue. It was identical right down to the cast of characters helping out. I haven’t been able to find it for years so I think it’s gone.

Reactions: HeyEng
Hey, y'all! I've moved into a new house and no longer have a pool, but I do have a lawn to manage now. Is there a "TFP" of lawns? Something to demystify the alchemy of the lawn spray companies.

Thanks! I've learned so much from TFP over the years!
There is some pretty sweet artificial turfs that are out there, but I "know a guy" in Dallas that said it would cost us about $500,000 to turf our whole yard. Yeah...so unless I move to Tucson, Arizona I am afraid that I will not have a TFL.

In all seriousness call the extension office...you would be amazed at how much they can do to help. The first couple of years, we contracted out the fertilizer/weed control of our very beautiful (but high maintenance) lawn. It quickly went downhill and we decided this year we would DIY. A call to the extension folks and a few soil sample tests later and we were on our way...and it has been well worth it as our yard is beautiful this year. And, it has been MUCH cheaper than the commercial services that screwed it up.

I used to belong to a lawn forum exactly like this. It was well organized in the same formats except it was yellowish green instead of blue. It was identical right down to the cast of characters helping out. I haven’t been able to find it for years so I think it’s gone.
Was it garden web by chance? I was on there 10+ years ago and it reminds me a lot of TFP. Unfortunately they got gobbled up by one of the large message boards and is not nearly as active.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It coulda been. They helped me out a few times over a year or two and by the time I wanted to research more projects they were gone.
If not garden web, was it " around the yard" forum? If so, The Lawn Forum spawned due to the some unhappy members and having followed both I can say that I 100% think The Lawn Forum is heaps and bounds better. Way more friendly and helpful members and a lot more traffic. But as mentioned above it can be quite the rabbit hole once started in lawn care.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.