The pool mesh big top

May 29, 2018
Tiverton, RI
Opened the pool last week, but knew I was going to be in a battle with the neighbor's trees that were still waiting to drop copious oak strands and Maple helicopters directly in our pool. So I got out the leaf cover we bought last year and tried to rig it up - however, I found if it was left partially floating in the pool it was impacting circulation. So I tinkered with various things we had laying around and voila!...a mesh big top for our pool!

The center pole is an 8-9ft length of PVC we had laying around - I used old neoprene surfing mitts taped to the ends to act as padding and put holes along the length to allow water in (so it doesn't float. I also put down a doubled-up thick shower pad underneath the pole to protect the liner. There doesn't seem to be much tension on the center pole - it's held in place by the net tension, but is flexible and I can lift it off the pool floor easily with one hand. The net isn't overly taut in any one spot - seems to be just enough tension to hold it in place, but (hopefully) not putting too much pressure on the vinyl floor.

This will allow us (me) to swim while hopefully keeping the majority of the debris out of the pool.

IMG_0106.jpg IMG_0105.jpg IMG_0104.jpg

Reactions: bmoreswim and Oly
Sweet! Give us an update in a week or two for how it worked on the debris.

Well, so far it’s definitely helping quite a bit, but the pool is certainly still needing some daily cleaning attention. It seems this is a big year for helicopters and, coupled with the consistent south wind (trees are due south of the pool) an unprecedented amount of debris is coming down.

Small stuff and the lucky copters make it past the mesh (it’s not totally sealed), but I haven’t HAD to empty the strainer at all (I have emptied it, but flow was still all good every time). The day I rigged this up the strainer was getting blocked with copters every few hours.

I feel pretty good about this solution. I think the pool would require much more constant attention without it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.