The dreaded mustard algae-i think

Hmm. Still trying to figure out what this might be then??
Do you get any leaves in your pool? I had kept getting what I thought was mustard algae but it was always on the bottom of the pool and not the sides. One day I noticed a big brown leaf at the bottom of the pool and I decided to leave it alone for a few days and observe it break down. It was leaves all along in my case. Also I have seen yellow pine tree pollen at the bottom of the pool that looks similar. Sometimes I get this stuff that also looks similar after the mosquito guy sprays. It drove me nuts all of last year trying to figure it out and I dumped a lot of chlorine in the pool, trying to kill it. Now I just run my pool robot more and don’t think about it. You could just have some weird unknown thing getting in your pool and the beginning of a green algae bloom which is what is why your water is cloudy.

Do you get any leaves in your pool? I had kept getting what I thought was mustard algae but it was always on the bottom of the pool and not the sides. One day I noticed a big brown leaf at the bottom of the pool and I decided to leave it alone for a few days and observe it break down. It was leaves all along in my case. Also I have seen yellow pine tree pollen at the bottom of the pool that looks similar. Sometimes I get this stuff that also looks similar after the mosquito guy sprays. It drove me nuts all of last year trying to figure it out and I dumped a lot of chlorine in the pool, trying to kill it. Now I just run my pool robot more and don’t think about it. You could just have some weird unknown thing getting in your pool and the beginning of a green algae bloom which is what is why your water is cloudy.
No leaves. When the lawn guy cuts, I skim the clippings out of the water right away.
This was the first morning after I elevated the fc for the slam.
we get the pollen, that spring stuff is gone around here.
I thought it strange that these spot showed up the next morning after the elevated fc.
it’s been 36 hours since that picture was taken. The water is much clearer, I can now see the bottom on the 8 foot end. It’s coming along.
Thanks for the reply and info. Hopefully it isn’t anything else.

Reactions: Orion7319
No leaves. When the lawn guy cuts, I skim the clippings out of the water right away.
This was the first morning after I elevated the fc for the slam.
we get the pollen, that spring stuff is gone around here.
I thought it strange that these spot showed up the next morning after the elevated fc.
it’s been 36 hours since that picture was taken. The water is much clearer, I can now see the bottom on the 8 foot end. It’s coming along.
Thanks for the reply and info. Hopefully it isn’t anything else.
Keep an eye on it. I think the two main criteria for mustard algae is “it goes poof when you touch it” and it grows on walls. If it starts to show up on the walls then I would be worried.

Keep an eye on it. I think the two main criteria for mustard algae is “it goes poof when you touch it” and it grows on walls. If it starts to show up on the walls then I would be worried.
I will. Thanks again. I don't watch but to do this again. It's a lot of work. Definitely worth it when you finally pass the 3 tests. Which I did this morning! I am on to the next step!

Last edited:
That is nicheless. No need to remove it. No algae can grow behind it as no sunlight can get there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I fought Mustard Algae for years. It is a little, light colored patch that starts to form in shaded and low circulation areas of the pool. It does not form in "lines" like you are seeing. Look at my pool. My pool is on the south side of my house. Mustard algae liked to form on the back long wall at the far end in the deep part of the pool. The other place it would form was in the left corner of the hot tub because of very poor circulation. I had VERY high CYA from using pool tablets.

If you really think it is, I suggest running at the TOP of the FC/CYA level. With 80 CYA, I run a 10 FC because I do not want the MA to come back. I suspect it is not MA.

I fought Mustard Algae for years. It is a little, light colored patch that starts to form in shaded and low circulation areas of the pool. It does not form in "lines" like you are seeing. Look at my pool. My pool is on the south side of my house. Mustard algae liked to form on the back long wall at the far end in the deep part of the pool. The other place it would form was in the left corner of the hot tub because of very poor circulation. I had VERY high CYA from using pool tablets.

If you really think it is, I suggest running at the TOP of the FC/CYA level. With 80 CYA, I run a 10 FC because I do not want the MA to come back. I suspect it is not MA.
Thanks for the suggestion. I like that idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.