The big little dig

Thanks Kim, I thought I’d made a huge boo boo when I saw this this morning but all good I guess.

I’m mostly pleased how its turning out, matching tiles for the walls, deck and waterline with the pebblecrete is a bit of a leap of faith. It was very helpful to use sample photos of our colour choices or something close.

The startup and handover was very casual. Nothing in writing, no real defined water quality values or instructions. I’m not sure if they’re coming back to add the salt. I’m trying to keep our water balance as much as possible. The CSI is currently at -0.04. The CH is still below the target range and although I’m slowly bringing it up I’m leaving the final balance to offset the salt addition to maintain a near zero CSI.

I kind of thought the water would be a slightly deeper blue but we’re still happy with it. I think a would add an extra bag of black and two more blue.
This is the waterline tile and pebblecrete. The tile is dark grey while pebblecrete colour or mix is called Mediterranean.
77A20412-C49A-469D-BC8D-0F2D0C2D4820.jpeg

And the pool in full sun.
4D349255-D88F-4C8E-9ADA-C78608AAA51B.jpeg

Reactions: kimkats
There is finally some progress on our little pool. I had to wait for the Merbau deck to weather and over the last two weeks I’ve managed to give it a tanin wash, an acid clean and three coats of Sikens oil based deck stain. I’m pretty happy with the results, the pine stain is the lightest and has brought out the natural colour of the Merbau. The privacy fence was delivered with glass fence and instead of moving it again I’ve finally installed it.

This was the pool this time last year.
07B4779F-2287-4169-A1A2-1C1DD0EA56E6.jpeg

And here it is this afternoon.
FAE1EB79-45BF-4BF1-BE51-43BC360746C7.jpeg
Puppy loves her new outdoor space. I’ve only just put the furniture out and can pull the BBQ or of storage and put out next. I need to order the gates for the equipment area, a small panel for the end of the privacy fence and some sort of privacy screen across the back behind our block wall.

WOWZER!! That came out AWESOME!!! LOVE the rich color! Well done! Looks like a slice of Heaven right there!

Puppy does look very pleased with her new area! Has she gone swimming yet?

Thanks, It was starting to look a bit grey and weathered but thats what they recommended and I’m happy with the results.

Its still too cold to swim but the puppy loves the hose and thinks her water bowl is a mini water park. I think the challenge will be getting her out. We still have some Ram Board floor protection down and she thinks it the best thing in the would to pull it up.

Last edited:
It’s been over a year and it seems little has happened other then we’re all a year older. Summer turned into autum, then winter, spring and suddenly summer is here again. The pool was too cold last summer and we barely used it. Enter solar pool heating, and we’re in, after one day.

A small 700W pump, a controller, 20sqm of plastic on the roof, and I added a cyclone filter thingy for good measure. It is common hear to have independent heating and filtration systems. We ticked the box for “provision for solar” as part of our build so we had two deep inlets and two outlets installed at build for future heating. Independent heating systems with no filtration fed from deep inlets is common here, the thought is that deep inlets won’t capture anything big enough to cause issue in the system. But think its a waste to run a pump all day without any form of filtration. And so I added a Waterco MultiCyclone12, their baby base model. I wasn’t expecting much but its already collected a bunch of stuff from brushing that would have otherwise resettled and been collected during regular vacuuming.

I wasn’t expecting much but I’m really quite impressed with this things performance, and at the same time, it does not impede the flow of the system.

2D75949D-7B75-4BA1-8A21-198B4FFED315.jpeg

Auto top up in the foreground with some cable tidying to come.

AE22C205-D038-42D4-BA5A-2F1724B40172.jpeg

If your going to add equipment protection go all out and put it in a bunker.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.