Thank you

arossi16

Gold Supporter
Jun 19, 2020
Indiana
I acquired a new house/pool and as a first time pool owner, I just trusted what the current maintenance guy said as well as the local Leslies for the first couple months.

I was told by the pool guy from day 1 that the pool always looks cloudy because the way the light hits the concrete and to not worry and the chemicals are perfect. After he failed to show for a week (so pool was left untreated for two) and me not having any knowledge of how to add chlorine I took a water sample to Leslies.

They of course said the pool levels were perfect, I scored 9/9 100% on their test and that all I needed to do was add some shock and Clear Aid and I would be good to go. After this didn’t work, I added more and more shock, purchased and installed a SWG, and things kept getting worse. I kept going back to Leslies only to get told something was a little off each time and to buy and try a different product all with no result.

Introduce TFP and all you great people and I purchased a proper Taylor test kit and straight away tested my CYA. It was of course sky high (half way to 100 on black dot test) and so I proceeded to drain half my pool and refill in order to SLAM.

My girlfriend and all her friends who are “pool experts” said I was crazy and just needed to add floc or more Clear Aid and one actually even said to add a stabilizer....she was the one who worked for a pool company. 😳

Anyways, long story short after a week of hitting the target FC for CYA levels and experiencing no loss overnight and 0.0 CC, I am opening the pool for friends this weekend.

Couldn’t have done it without this great site and it’s members and I just want to say thanks for being here and helping the first timers. I’ve enjoyed reading all your material and look forward to tackling the next issue, when it arises. ✌🏼

It's not easy going against the grain while listening to the "experts" tell you about their magic potions. Thanks for confirming what so many TFP members have experienced. Well done, enjoy your new understanding of pool water chemistry. :paddle:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.