TFP recommendations vs equipment manufacturer recommendations

ottawaguy

Apr 4, 2020
Ontario
I use a SWG generator (low salt) and it has a list of recommendations for levels on the first page of the PDF:

Should I use the TFP recommendations or the recommendations from the SWG manual? I have a vinyl lined pool. Hayward is recommending CYA 20-30 and the TFP app recommends different ideal ranges for example.

Also, of topic, but related to testing/balancing water, can you use pool chemicals in the spa? Online on many websites it says not to, but mostly they seem to be the same chemicals.

Thanks

Pool industry recommendations have not been updated since the last century. And SWG manufacturers do not care if you run your cell at a higher % then needed and therefore needing replacement sooner. TFP recommendations are based on the latest scientific understanding. For more read CYA - Further Reading

Last edited:
Also, of topic, but related to testing/balancing water, can you use pool chemicals in the spa? Online on many websites it says not to, but mostly they seem to be the same chemicals.

Thanks
Chlorine is chlorine, calcium is calcium, muriatic acid is muriatic acid, etc... Go ahead and use pool products as long as you know exactly what it is! Usually the "Spa" version is just smaller packaging and 10 times the price... :)

Pool industry recommendations have not been updated since the last century. And SWG manufacturers do not care if yiu run your cell at a higher % then needed and therefore needing replacement sooner. TFP recommendations are based on the latest scientific understanding. For more read CYA - Further Reading

A follow up to this, my SWG is a "low-salt" variant, where the salt-level is supposed to be something like 1200-1800 ppm. Does a low-salt system have any differences that I should be aware of in chemicals levels (i.e. CYA for example) or any other areas? They don't seem popular in the USA. What is the downside of these low salt generators?

Thanks

A follow up to this, my SWG is a "low-salt" variant, where the salt-level is supposed to be something like 1200-1800 ppm. Does a low-salt system have any differences that I should be aware of in chemicals levels (i.e. CYA for example) or any other areas? They don't seem popular in the USA. What is the downside of these low salt generators?

Thanks

No difference in chemical levels other then the salt level that works for your system.

Low salt cells are low performance cells. They take the plates used in a 40k cell, give it a reduced salt level, so it has the chlorine output for a 25K pool and call it a 25K low salt model. You will not find large pool low salt cells.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.