TFP pre-SLAM

Great 👍🏻
Make sure to give the drains a good brush & even try to give them a good blast with the water hose nozzle to loosen any gunk that may have settled in there under the covers.
(You have 2 drains for anti entrapment purposes)
Post pics or model numbers of your pump, filter, & salt water chlorine generator so we can identify them & you can have them properly listed in your signature.
We can also help you with how to operate them most effectively etc.
Power hose the drains was a GREAT idea! I couldn't believe all the black and decayed matter! No doubt a breeding site for algae to hide- thanks.

When I did my signature, I just kind of guessed at what size my saltwater generator is from the manufacturer website . I can't find it with the information I have. Can you tell me what size pool this is for? Or anything else that I need to know about it?IMG_0311.jpegIMG_0310.jpeg

Great 👍🏻
Make sure to give the drains a good brush & even try to give them a good blast with the water hose nozzle to loosen any gunk that may have settled in there under the covers.
(You have 2 drains for anti entrapment purposes)
Post pics or model numbers of your pump, filter, & salt water chlorine generator so we can identify them & you can have them properly listed in your signature.
We can also help you with how to operate them most effectively etc.
Regarding the floor drains- when I hosed them I did get a lot of black thin strips (similar to a cellophane sheet) and old black leaves. When I did it again today there was less of the black leaves but still quite a bit of linear thin strips. I've never had a pool with the floor drain before. I have a diverter that allows me to pull from the skimmer or the floor drain or both. I just realized that you don't feel much of a pool from the floor drain I understand that's the way it's supposed to be. Right now I am running the floor drains for just a little while at about 80% maybe 90% and 10 to 20 on the skimmer. My water return is still putting out a good amount, my filter pressure is down, and the pump has some air in it, but not blowing air out of my return valve-air It doesn't seem to be going through the pump motor (a good thing). I'm hesitant to turn it completely on floor drain. The reason I would want to do that. Is maybe to clear out whatever that stuff is.

Well- even with the question about the drains- I have passed all three criteria for finished with SLAM. I do have a bit of sand but it's gritty and doesn't 'puff' and I did have the children over who even with feet rinsing they bring sand in.

Reactions: Mdragger88
When I did my signature, I just kind of guessed at what size my saltwater generator is from the manufacturer website . I can't find it with the information I have. Can you tell me what size pool this is for? Or anything else that I need to know about it?View attachment 569625View attachment 569626
Got info and manual for this. SWG for up to 25k gal pool.

Main drain gunk-I would keep doing what you are doing. The skimmer removes anything that is on top of the water so you don't want it off all of the way. What I would do is see if you can take the lid of the drain off to see if that will help you get it all the way clean.

Regarding the floor drains- when I hosed them I did get a lot of black thin strips (similar to a cellophane sheet) and old black leaves. When I did it again today there was less of the black leaves but still quite a bit of linear thin strips. I've never had a pool with the floor drain before. I have a diverter that allows me to pull from the skimmer or the floor drain or both. I just realized that you don't feel much of a pool from the floor drain I understand that's the way it's supposed to be. Right now I am running the floor drains for just a little while at about 80% maybe 90% and 10 to 20 on the skimmer. My water return is still putting out a good amount, my filter pressure is down, and the pump has some air in it, but not blowing air out of my return valve-air It doesn't seem to be going through the pump motor (a good thing). I'm hesitant to turn it completely on floor drain. The reason I would want to do that. Is maybe to clear out whatever that stuff is.
Keep going like you are & that should do the trick with the drains. When you spray them with the hose did u end up with gunk in your pump basket?

Got info and manual for this. SWG for up to 25k gal pool.
Your cell produces 1.15 lb/day if run @100%.
Here’s what it will do if you run it around the clock @100%
IMG_9953.png
You can add that info to your poolmath settings to help you figure out run times & % to cover your daily losses which can be up to 5ppm in the summer in FL if your pool is in the sun.
IMG_9954.png

Reactions: Newdude
Keep going like you are & that should do the trick with the drains. When you spray them with the hose did u end up with gunk in your pump basket
Your cell produces 1.15 lb/day if run @100%.
Here’s what it will do if you run it around the clock @100%
View attachment 570039
You can add that info to your poolmath settings to help you figure out run times & % to cover your daily losses which can be up to 5ppm in the summer in FL if your pool is in the sun.
View attachment 570040
Thank you- I’ve been researching that here but have had a hard time understanding some of it ( I’m a stronger in english than math person).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you- I’ve been researching that here but have had a hard time understanding some of it ( I’m a stronger in english than math person).
And yes the pump basket did get some. I believe some may have gotten jammed up in the line (I’ve done it 2 or 3 times now). Each time I started the pump back up I got even more in the basket. I would shut it off and re-empty it and start it back up and it pulled quite a bit more which I emptied right then also. The filter had a tea color from the decayed matter but rinsed easily. To really clean the drains, is it safe to take the two screws that hold the ?cover plate? on? One more question- the ‘sand’ does puff a bit when I use my foot to move it but when I swim to it it feels just like sand. Could it be dead algae with those signs?

It should be fine to remove the drain covers to get better access for cleaning. The drains should be off when you do this.

For the suspected sand- try to collect some. Sand is gritty, algae is slimy. Some have had luck using a turkey baster.

Reactions: kimkats