TFP Podcast?

TJBJR

Jun 6, 2019
Texas
is there any consideration to creating a TFP Podcast? Currently, there are are a few aimed at the pool service industry but there doesn't seem to be any good podcasts for pool owners. I believe a TFP podcast would do quite well.

While I think it could be a good idea, there is the problem that we all volunteer our time to TFP.
So who would come up with the content and scripts? And then who would be the face in the videos and produce it?
That could like a lot of money (if outsourced) and effort (if lean on volunteers) that may be hard to come by.

Welcome to TFP!

I like the idea. I listen to The Lawn Care Nut podcast while mowing and really enjoy it. I could envision something like that where people write or call in and leave a message with their problems and someone talks about the problem and the solution.

Problem is that lawn care is more complicated than pool care, in so much as needing to identify certain weeds and fungus so they can be properly attacked without damaging the lawn. TFPC is relatively simple in comparison, you don't have to identify the algae to initiate the SLAM Process. Many other problems, especially equipment problems, need a more back and forth to accomplish. TFP is starting to release videos explaining some of the more basic concepts too. I'm just picturing the host easily being replaced with a record saying "You need a good test kit, lower your CYA, ditch the pucks, follow the SLAM Process, use liquid chlorine, stick it out" etc. Although it might be fun to go all Mad Money style with sound effects, "Pucks?!? -buzzer- ?" :LOL:

What kind of format and direction do you envision a TFP podcast? As I said, I like the idea and if there were a format that would make sense I might nudge Lee about tinkering with the idea, but only if it made sense.

Please allow me to voice my two cents worth.
Regarding a format, scan some podcasts online and find one you like, or conduct a poll here in a forum if you are unsure of what forum you want.

As far as topics, I see well over 100k questions and many more responses in the various forums. Pick one and use it to discuss in this podcast. You already have the problems and answers right there :) .

How often to have a podcast? I would say one a week to begin, maybe doing an occasional extra one if the notion strikes you. As you become more comfortable you might want to increase their frequency.

And here I am talking as though there will be only one host. Whoever the host is might have guests on from time to time, starting with other knowledgable people from right here on TFP.

The most important thing to keep in mind is the value given to the listeners. That is the difference between a podcast that is so-so and one that the listeners cannot wait until the next broadcast.

One last thought. Just keep in mind, there is never a face too ugly to host a radio show-[I heard that somewhere long ago.]. I think a podcast for the interested public would be awesome.

Unless there is some sort of income stream, most podcasts die. It’s a lot of work to do for free thus many have tried the ad route to stay afloat. But once you accept ad money, you also find your content being steered by them. Now who would most likely want to advertise on a pool podcast? I don’t think they’d want you telling your listeners they don’t need the products you’re advertising.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.