TFP peeps..... opinions needed........Black Onyx liner is toast.

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
5 yo IG 16 x 32 rect. I'm an old TFP guy and this liner has me baffled. It's a GLI black Onyx. And it looked great..... for 6 months. In a previous post, i ranted about liner fade.
Water chem has not been an issue. TFP kit, fresh reagents every year. etc. CL on low side of normal (3-4 ppm) most of the time, depending on CYA. used Trichlor in a rainbow feeder. Simple and easy. 60 % Poly about every 6 weeks in summer.
Low bather load, not shocked unless needed. Water clear all year, no CC really, pH dead on, ran TA around 100. i actually tried to baby this liner from day one. No idea why this liner faded so bad. GLI fast tracked me a new liner when i noted it was a Black Onyx. (credit to them)
So today, i drained the pool and new liner gets dropped tomorrow. NOT black Onyx. Apparently, no longer made..........
Our last pool was 34k gal IG salt and between salt and cells and boards, i was going back to what worked before At the time, it seemed old school might be ok. First ever pool was trichlor and min fade.
I know, We're mostly a BBB forum, but i dont want to lug bleach around. Back to salt?
Any black Onyx owners out there? Do you think black was just a bad choice to use with chlorine? BTW, it was beautiful when first installed.
pics will speak volumes... first is during build. It was truly black. rest are from today. wonder why the wall seams faded more??
Pool has auto fill, so the fade line is pretty dramatic on the vl tile pattern... half good color, half bad.
i would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Cal

IMG_9552.JPG
IMG_0066.JPGIMG_0069.JPG
img_0071-jpg.459807

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    738.7 KB · Views: 72
Back to salt?
While waiting for my salt to be delivered and mixed, it took me 1.5 hours to find a few jugs of 10% that were fresher than 6 months old. I thought it would be fun to see how the other half lived, but once was enough. :ROFLMAO:

SWG or bleach doesn't change your chemistry so it's strictly a convenience thing and the liner will behave as it will behave. Sorry you had a bad experience but I'm glad they stepped up to replace it.

Reactions: induce
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.