TFP Newbie - Cannot get fc to register

The values I posted above are from using my Taylor Kit. Sorry my bad, I meant FC not CC as you noted. I will edit the original post.
As far as the pool store tests, I had to go to the pool store for something else so I took a water sample out of curiosity. It confirmed that I cannot rely on their test results. But while I was there I ased them if they could explain why my daytime FC levels were dropping so much.They thought maybe Phosphate or Nitrates. Then when they (erroneously) fond zero CYA that wa their explanation. Beleive me, Iam now fully committed to not getting water tests there anymore.

So are my daytime FC losses higher than one should expect? What else (besides the sun) might be causinng this?

Anf would you avise against raising CYA any higher?

4 - 10 PPM FC loss with no bather load or ducks or other contaminants is too high. You must have something consuming the FC in your pool. Ladders, light fixtures, other 'dead water' spots.

Take care.

I don't have my ladder in yet so that isn't it. I only have two LED lights that are only about 3 inches in diameter and I take those lenses off and scrubbed them and the light real well. We dd have some ducks erly on but have not seen them for a few weeks and no sign of droppings from them lately.

Any other ideas on what else could be consuming the chlorine during the day but not at night?

I have been taking my samples from the same spot each time where the water doesn't move as much as other places. Maybe that makes it a dead spot? I will try changing where I sample from to see if that makes any difference.

So are my daytime FC losses higher than one should expect?
Now that you passed the OCLT, it sounds as though your excessive loss could be from the sun. It's one or the other. So as long as there are no more concerns with overnight loss, it may be time to increase your CYA. I don't recall your previous SLAM CYA, but if it was low (i.e. 30), I would suggest increasing to 40 and see how that works to hold FC. Just increase in 10 ppm doses until you find that good spot for your FC. Congrats on passing the SLAM!

dbtgallery.php

It's too hard to tell if that is normal or not, because FC loss can be extremely high if FC is at shock level. Once you're FC is in the target range for your CYA, you will get a more accurate reading of what your FC loss is each day.

Thanks guys. Yeeah, those lage losses were while itwas coming down from shock levels, It does seem to slow down as itgets closer to target levels. Now that my CYA is at 60, at least it isn't dropping towards zero nearly as fast. I will see how it does over the next few days.

I will be going out of town next week and may need to turn my tablet dispenser back on to keep the FC levels from dropping too far while I am gone. If that is a bad idea, hw do you guys ensure that your levels don't get too low while you are not there to add chlorox daily?

You could increase the FC to SLAM level which should keep the FC elevated for about 3 days or so depending on sunlight. If you don't have someone to add bleach, then I suppose a puck in a floater/chlorinator isn't the worse thing. Just a small CYA increase.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.