TFP method to start up a new pool?

jerryp520

May 3, 2020
York PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello. I’m having a Radiant semi-inground pool put in later this spring/ early this summer and had questions about the startup chemicals. The dealer will get me started up, but after my wife did a lot of research on this website this seems like a much better method than the expensive chemicals available thru the dealer. Is it possible to do the initial chemical treatment in a new pool with the TFP method? The dealer also recommended an ozonator. Is it worth the extra cost? Any input would be appreciated.

Hello!! You absolutely can use TFP method for start-up. I did and it went great. I used a service for the first few close/opens and they were very aware I didn't want them using any chemicals. Invest in a proper test kit and you'll be on your way! Rather than the Ozonator I'd spend the money on a salt water generator. You won't regret going to pool school here and learning how YOU can take care of your pool. Welcome to the group!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You might ask specifically what type of start-up method your builder plans on using. In advance take a peek at some of our start-up articles. Should give you a leg-up on the process. From there, it's all about having the right test kit. I recommend the TF-100 (link below), but the Taylor K-2006C is also suitable. Hope that helps.

Note that the builder might have requirements to keep a valid warranty you have to follow. If so, let us know what they are and we can try to find common ground.

With a Radiant pool (non-plaster), you will have no need to do any special type of start-up. Just balance the pool in the following order:

CYA - put it in and assume its at the level you calculated (start by adding 1/2 of what you intend the test 24 hours after dissolved). Then re-dose to get you up to your level.
FC - in accordance with your first and second dosed levels of CYA. This is a consumable - check daily.
pH - Don’t fight to keep it at the low end of the range. It may settle at the upper end and be just fine.
Check out TA but often settles on it’s own to a workable level.
CH - As long you are at least at minimum, don’t worry about it for your surface.

The big ball in the sky provides all the ozone you need for your outdoor pool. Absolutely avoid the expense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.