Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Good morning all, I suspect lots of new members this weekend with the unofficial kick off of summer, especially for those of us in the North.

I soft opened my pool last weekend, pulled cover off, relubed all the gaskets got plumbing hooked up to get circulation going, water clear, tested FC at 10 still - 11th year in a row opening with TFP methods, clear water and plenty of FC.

A week later though my water just doesn't quite have TFP sparkle, but it's definitely clear. (I just tossed in the Dolphin to get good pic, I don't typically run it with lid open!)

20230526_193835.jpg

That's about 4 feet of water. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I have a "TFP clear" test which is sit underwater w back to the wall, mask on and I should be able to clearly see the details of the stone pattern on the other side. Did that test (after a jog, cold water!) and still after a week of circulation I wasn't seeing the stone pattern 30 feet away.

Well, it's only been a week, ducks have been making daily visits... but still. FC consumption has been only 1-2 daily the past week and it's never fallen below 6 (opened to cya of 40, now raised to 60ish) so nothing going on there.

Maybe my cartridge filter is wearing out, or maybe I accidentally put in the old back up that I've kept around for 8 years without ever using? Filter pressure hasn't moved much....

Open it up and.... mystery solved! Mind you, I lubed the O ring and lubed the lock ring (amazing hack I read here many years ago, I used to have to use a rubber mallet to loosen it) and was very deliberate in checking all the connections/unions, and yet somehow did not put the filter cartridge in!

20230526_193240.jpg

So after a week with no filter media my pool was still objectively clear using TFP methods! Good reminder for me to make a donation.

Running pump on high so should have my TFP sparkle back in a day or so.

Happy Memorial Day weekend TFP!

Paul

I cleaned my filter earlier this year, turned on pump and had leaks at the filter housing, could not figur out what went wrong. I turned off the pump. Next day went back to work on the leak, the gasket was hanging exactly where I placed it. I laughed at myself. It is almost always the simplest thing

Another happy start to swim season indeed!

After my run today I jumped in pool around noon, still couldn't see the pattern details w back against wall on opposite side but pool is definitely looking clearer and more blue (less dull) now that an actual filter is in place.

I know it's obvious but these are the types of questions that governments spend lots of money to find out answers even though everyone knows the answer, so I'm giving tfp the answer for free, that filtration improves water clarity. 😉

I'll update when I pass my tfp clear test.

Well, it actually took about a week of filtration for me to pass my underwater TFP clear test, but I passed! :cool:

If I think of it I'll take a pic w my underwater camera next time and add it to the how clear is tfp clear thread.

(didn't keep close track but maybe avg 12 hours a day running pump on low past week)
20230604_122458.jpg

Good morning all, I suspect lots of new members this weekend with the unofficial kick off of summer, especially for those of us in the North.

I soft opened my pool last weekend, pulled cover off, relubed all the gaskets got plumbing hooked up to get circulation going, water clear, tested FC at 10 still - 11th year in a row opening with TFP methods, clear water and plenty of FC.

A week later though my water just doesn't quite have TFP sparkle, but it's definitely clear. (I just tossed in the Dolphin to get good pic, I don't typically run it with lid open!)

View attachment 496769

That's about 4 feet of water. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I have a "TFP clear" test which is sit underwater w back to the wall, mask on and I should be able to clearly see the details of the stone pattern on the other side. Did that test (after a jog, cold water!) and still after a week of circulation I wasn't seeing the stone pattern 30 feet away.

Well, it's only been a week, ducks have been making daily visits... but still. FC consumption has been only 1-2 daily the past week and it's never fallen below 6 (opened to cya of 40, now raised to 60ish) so nothing going on there.

Maybe my cartridge filter is wearing out, or maybe I accidentally put in the old back up that I've kept around for 8 years without ever using? Filter pressure hasn't moved much....

Open it up and.... mystery solved! Mind you, I lubed the O ring and lubed the lock ring (amazing hack I read here many years ago, I used to have to use a rubber mallet to loosen it) and was very deliberate in checking all the connections/unions, and yet somehow did not put the filter cartridge in!

View attachment 496775

So after a week with no filter media my pool was still objectively clear using TFP methods! Good reminder for me to make a donation.

Running pump on high so should have my TFP sparkle back in a day or so.

Happy Memorial Day weekend TFP!

Paul
We have the EXACT SAME filter….size and all!! Now I want to go check on mine. You got me paranoid haha! It needs cleaned anyways after all the pollen we have been dealing with from April through early June. I’ve never seen it so bad in my life.

I cleaned my filter earlier this year, turned on pump and had leaks at the filter housing, could not figur out what went wrong. I turned off the pump. Next day went back to work on the leak, the gasket was hanging exactly where I placed it. I laughed at myself. It is almost always the simplest thing
Gosh, this seems to be a cartridge filter thing! As a fairly new cartridge filter owner, I really need to check on it more than I do lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.