richmond VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi all, purchased this kit and am having trouble with the chlorine and pH test portion. The shades of yellow for the chlorine and the shades of red all seem very similar to me. I'm following the instructions; holding the tube 2-3" from a white sheet and I just can't see a significant difference in the color gradient. Is there some trick to figuring out how to read the chlorine and pH levels when the colors are so close? I can't be the only one that has this issue. Thanks!

Thanks for purchasing a recommended test kit.
Use the DPD test (powder with drops) to test Chlorine level. That is much easier and allows to test above 5ppm. This color comparison test for FC is just really to tell you if there is chlorine or not.
For pH - I have found it best to put my finger horizontally over the top 2-3 colors then work upwards by moving your fingers upwards. This provides you a better comparison of just 1 level at a time. Your eyes can then see the change easier.

Try this and see if helps.

For PH, it gives many issues. You really only need to know high and low, and any 7 is usually fine. Non 7s are easier to spot.

If it's still giving you trouble, try 4 drops.

Kinda similar to Herman, I take a thumb from each hand and block off above and below which one I want to look at. Yes/no is easier for me than best out of 3.

If you can narrow it down to 2 of them, that's plenty close enough and call it in the middle.

A consistent background is key. I prefer a backlit background. To get a consistent backlight, hold the block in front of your computer monitor with a blank white screen displayed (I use Google's homepage). Also, try holding the block sideways or upside down. Sometimes that helps distinguish colors better. I also use two old hotel keycards to mask off areas and narrow down my decision.

Reactions: crosby1612
Thanks for purchasing a recommended test kit.
Use the DPD test (powder with drops) to test Chlorine level. That is much easier and allows to test above 5ppm. This color comparison test for FC is just really to tell you if there is chlorine or not.
For pH - I have found it best to put my finger horizontally over the top 2-3 colors then work upwards by moving your fingers upwards. This provides you a better comparison of just 1 level at a time. Your eyes can then see the change easier.

Try this and see if helps.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try for sure. Just seems like there should be a more definitive way to get a pH read. Color is very subjective.

Reactions: pjt
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try for sure. Just seems like there should be a more definitive way to get a pH read. Color is very subjective.
Try those techniques and I think you'll have better results. Consistent and uniform backlighting from my computer monitor makes the test easy.

But for $170 I would've thought a simple pH test would be easier to read and not be subjective
$170 is for many components and the Ph test is just one of those. It would have been much more had you purchased them all separately just to have the same comparator block, which is the best we have to work with.

Test strips use a similar color scale and it changes color as you watch it. Then the pads start going bad as soon as you start a new bottle, making it worse.

Pool stores probably get Ph right, but you rattled the sample the whole way there, so nothing says it's still the same Ph when they get it right.

Close enough is close enough when it's accurate. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support