TF-100 Test kit

Msch99

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2018
Verona, MO
Hey all,
After chasing butterflies with our test strips, we are getting ready to order a test kit. Thinking the TF-100 but wondering if some of the options are worth getting at the same time.

PH meter $14 ? Assuming not as accurate but worth it for a quick and dirty check?
Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer $40?
XL option, xtra R-0871 $20

Thinking to add the Standard sampler for $16, just for my peace of mind as a newbie.

Thanks!
msch99

These are all personal opinions.....you will get different ones from others.

Speedstir - resounding yes!

pH meter - OK, but I am used to the drops based phenol red that only takes about 30 seconds to complete

If you currently have nice water the standard reagents are enough. If your pool is in bad shape and you need to SLAM (test a LOT), then get the XL option

I have never thought the sampler was a big time saver.....others like it.

I got the xl kit and pH meter. It's a nice quick test and saves reagent. Plus it got me over the $100 threshold for free shipping and only cost another $2 difference. I passed on the speedstir, but only because of money. It's on my wishlist. If you have the $40 to spend, absolutely do it.

I'll give you my two cents, but, of course, I have a vested interest, so I hope others chime in. Everyone loves the Speedstir. The kit with the Speedstir is the most popular combination I sell. I still swirl
Definitely get the XL option if you have an algae problem. I had a customer this morning who ordered the kit without the XL and he had to SLAM his pool. He is now in desperate need of the R-0871 and R-0870 (XL option) and doesn't have a store close by that sells those reagents. I have too many people paying for express mail and it is always for the XL option. If you have a fresh fill or clean pool, the kit should offer you enough FAS-DPD tests to last quite awhile.
The ph meter is not a necessity. I have a difficult time differentiating the colors on the ph comparator block, so I like the digital read out. I use the meter in conjunction with the ph drop test just to make sure both are on the same page.
I don't sell a lot of standard samplers, but I think it is the most underrated option we provide. It is having the answers to the test. It is basically pool water with set standards for CH, TA, CYA and pH. I use the pH standard to check my pH meter. I simply pour the ph standard into a cup, dip my ph meter in it to make sure it registers 7.2 and then I pour the standard back into its original bottle and use it over and over again. I've used the same bottle of ph standard to test my meter for 6 months now. It's easier than mixing up a buffer solution to test it.
Feel free to call me at 919-528-1454. And, like I said, I hope others chime in...

Hey all,
After chasing butterflies with our test strips, we are getting ready to order a test kit. Thinking the TF-100 but wondering if some of the options are worth getting at the same time.

PH meter $14 ? Assuming not as accurate but worth it for a quick and dirty check?
Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer $40?
XL option, xtra R-0871 $20

Thinking to add the Standard sampler for $16, just for my peace of mind as a newbie.

Thanks!
msch99

- pH meter? I really wouldn't bother because the pH test is so easy to read already using the basic test.
- Speedstir? Strongly recommend it. It is flippin' awesome.
- Standard sampler? Just depends on how confident you are at learning new procedures. All the tests are fairly simple except perhaps the CYA test. But then again, it's so cheap you might as well add it if it will convince you that you're doing them correctly.
- XL option? I agree with duraleigh. If you have a swamp now, order it. If you are simply trying to maintain an already somewhat healthy pool, skip it for now.

I agree ph meter isn't needed, speedstir is a must, xl only if you have a swamp.

Duraleighs comment on the standard sampler didn't make sense to me since the standard solutions are not meant to be time savers. Dave, we're you thinking about about the Samplesizer?

I think the standard solution for cya is a must since that test requires training. Just being confident one is doing the test properly doesn't mean one is getting the correct answer. In fact I think it should be included in the test kit given how important cya is to tfp principles. In terms of being the recommended kit that would help differentiate the tf100 from the k-2006.

I think the standard solution for cya is a must since that test requires training. Just being confident one is doing the test properly doesn't mean one is getting the correct answer. In fact I think it should be included in the test kit given how important cya is to tfp principles. In terms of being the recommended kit that would help differentiate the tf100 from the k-2006.

Funny, I put it in with the kit two years ago and so many people had difficulty with using it that I took it out. It was costing me more time and money replacing reagents or taking phone calls about it than it was worth. Many people wanted the standard to adjust to what they considered 50 ppm CYA rather than the opposite. You have to adjust yourself to what the standard reads as 50 ppm.

I bought the TF-100 last year. Got the XL option and am just using up the first set of regeants. So I'd probably pass on XL so I could get fresh stuff in the spring.
This year I added the PH meter. For 14 bucks it is my go to as I just test PH directly in the pool when I am getting my sample and a second with the deeper water from my sample back on the patio.
I also picked up the speed stir. I don't think it makes too much of an effect on accuracy but I oddly enjoy using it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Chdalm
The standard samples are to help you learn to be more accurate with your testing-
for instance -
the ph one is water w/ a ph of 7.2 - so you pour it in the comparator as if it was your pool water sample & perform the ph test (add the ph reagent) you will then know exactly what 7.2 looks like so you know how to interpret your results

Reactions: Chdalm
Our Aussie go-to supplier Clear Choice Labs adds the standards to the test kits by default. I really liked to have them, allows you to get used to the tests. Especially for the CYA test.

I don't sell a lot of standard samplers, but I think it is the most underrated option we provide.

I am on one page with OTPirate here, I think the standards are great. You see many threads where users aren't sure if they are doing the tests right - that's where the standards come in handy while getting used to the tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.